➳ Chapter 6 - Funeral Aftermath

[Cayden's POV]

Autopsy studies revealed that she was too under fed and malnourished, and she still forced her body to overwork, despite being told by her co-workers and boss to at least take even a 5 minutes a rest. Like always, my mom refused.

All money was left to me, but since I'm underage, whoever takes me in is a trustee of my money until I'm 18.

After nights of crying, on
the day of the funeral, I just felt myself shut down. I couldn't cry, I couldn't feel anymore.

I watched as they lowered her casket into the ground, the few friends we had tossing flowers in once it was down.

I gulped as I walked over and kissed the white rose I held.

"I love you, Mom. I'll always miss you," I whispered before tossing it in.

The service was held soon at Johnnie's house. People gave their respects, and I just thanked them.

Even Mr. and Mrs. Bates came by and offered to help me anyway they can.

"She was a caring person, Cayden, that's all you need to really remember. The good things," Johnnie said as we sat out in the porch swing. It was getting too stuffy for me with all those people.

Some of them made me angry. They were "friends" who never bothered to even help, who decided to just leave me and my mom alone and just show up to make them look like they have a good conscience.

I hated them. I hated every single one of them. If they at least bithered to call or visit, my mom would be alive, and healthy.

"That's the thing, Johnnie," I said, looking up. "She was too caring for even her own good."

"I still can't believe we can't take you in," he said.

"I know. But we can still stay in touch," I said.

He nodded as he patted my back.

"Thanks, for being with me at a time like this," I said.

"Dude, you're like my brother. You and your mom were there for us when my dad passed away, its only fair that I'm with you right now," he said.

I smiled and nodded.

"Speaking of dads, do you think they'll call your dad?" Johnnie asked.

My smile fell, and I sighed. "I doubt it. He probably wouldn't want anything to do with me, anyway."

He nodded as our friend, Alex, walked over, wearing a simple black dress.

Alex is another friend of ours, and basically the one getting us out of trouble on a daily basis.

Her family also tried to take me in, but since her dad walked out on her and she lives mostly with her aunt and uncle, it wasn't so possible.

"Hey guys," she said, sitting next to us.

I sighed and hugged her and Johnnie.

"I'm gonna miss you guys," I said.

They hugged me back. "Us, too," she said.

Days later I had to leave to the foster home, but I'm still in touch with Johnnie and the family.

At the home, I didn't speak to anyone, and my social worker was nice, but barely talked to me.

I sat in the bed as the other adolescents talked or went out. The ages went by floors, so I was on the last dorms. Each dorm had 5-6 kids.

Nothing can change the fact that the woman who put in more than just her blood, sweat, and tears to raise me is dead, and I could have saved her.

Nothing can hang the numb feeling inside of me.

Nothing can change the fact that I lost everything now.