➳ Chapter 5 - Lost It All

*Monday*

"We're about 2 hours away," I said on the phone.

"That's good," she sighed.

"You okay?" I frowned.

"Yeah, sweetie, I'm fine. I just got home from work, I'm exhausted," she sighed.

"Take a nap, and I'll wake you up when we get there. Johnnie is gonna sleep over if it's okay," I said.

"Yeah, yeah, that's fine. I'll see you soon. I love you," she said.

"Love you, too, Mom," I smiled as I hung up and laid back.

"You sure it's okay?" Johnnie asked.

"She said it's okay," I said.

But as we drove the two hours I kept having this feeling that something was wrong.

We soon arrived to my house and me and Johnnie walked in, his mom and sister walking in with us since they wanted to relax for a bit from the long drive.

"Mom, we're home," I called out.

No answer. Must still be asleep.

I grabbed some water for Ms. Guilbert and Sarah, Johnnie following me to the living room, seeing my mom fast asleep.

I walked over and knelt by her small form and shook her gently.

"Mom? I'm home," I said.

No movement.

"Mom, wake up," I said, shaking her a little more forcefully.

Nothing.

My heart dropped as I shook her more.

"Mom? Mom?! MOM!!" I exclaimed as I put my ear to her mouth.

She's not breathing.

"MOM!!! MOM, WAKE UP, PLEASE!!! MOM!! MOM WAKE UP, DON'T LEAVE ME!!!!!" I cried as Johnnie ran to get his mom.

"Mom!! Miss Montez isn't breathing!!!" he shouted as I shook my mom and broke down in tears, holding her limp body close to me.

"GOD, PLEASE, DON'T LET HER BE GONE!!!!" I screamed above as I held her.

I can't lose her... I can't...

***

I sat on the steps as Johnnie and Sarah comforted me, and I saw paramedics exit my house, my mom in a body bag.

I burst into tears as I saw them load her in the ambulance and leave, Ms. Guilbert talking to a cop.

They soon walked over to me.

"Cayden, sweetheart, you'll be staying with us until a social worker gets you. I'm sorry, but we're not trustees, and you're still underage," she said, tears in her eyes.

I just cried into my knees.

"Are you sure we can't adopt him, Mom?" Johnnie asked, pleading.

"Please, Mom, he has nobody," Sarah begged.

"Kids, I'm so sorry, but I can't. I wish I could," she said.

I wiped my tears as they helped me up and we walked to the car, police asking me some questions as Ms. Guilbert and Sarah went to pack my things.

Who can save me now?

~~~

Continue, yes or no?