➳ Chapter 3 - You Deserve A Good Life

"Momma, I'm home," I called out, and entered the kitchen to see her looking through a cook book.

"Hi, honey. What's that, from Mrs. Bates?" she asked, looking guilty.

"Yeah, for both of us," I said. "And Mr. Bates paid me in advance."

"Hoeny, these people are too kind," she said.

"I know, but we need the money," I said. "I swear, I don't ask for food."

She sighed as she took the container. "Leave the money in my purse, so I can deposit it in the bank tomorrow."

I nodded and left the money in her purse before going to see what was for dinner.

Roasted chicken, fried rice, and some mashed potato.

I served for each of us, and that's when I noticed my mom looked so exhausted as the fork trembled in her hand.

I know she went against my wishes and didn't eat breakfast, so I walked up and took the fork from her hand, cutting a piece of chicken, and holding it to her lips.

She ate it as I kissed her forehead and hugged her.

"I just don't want to see you sick, Mom," I mumbled.

She looked at me with teary eyes and I put the fork down and hugged her as she burst into tears, holding me.

"I-I made too many mistakes in my life to have a son like you," she sobbed, her boney form shaking in my arms.

I was taller than her. She was only 5'3, and I was already at 6 feet. Mom says I get my height from my dad.

"Mom... How about we try and contact Dad?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No.... Not unless its really serious. Eitherway, its been too long, he'll probably not want anything to do with us."

I knew she was right, but it was worth a shot.

I then remembered what Johnnie said today.

"Umm, Mom..." I mumbled.

She looked up at me as I wiped her eyes.

"Umm... Johnnie invited me to join his family in a road trip to Cincinatti for the long weekend," I said. "He said you should come, too."

She was quiet and shook her head.

"I can't, baby, I have to work weekends this week. You can go, though," she said.

"I don't want to leave you all by yourself, Mom," I said, but she shook her head.

"Listen, Cayden," she said. "When I was younger, my parents never let me have any fun. I couldn't even go out with friends. I don't want to be the reason for keeping you away from your friends."

"But-"

"You deserve a good adolescent life, Cayden," she said. "You only get one chance in life, and two if you're lucky."

I sighed as I gave in, knowing that I couldn't argue with her.

I kissed her cheek and hugged her.

"I'll call you everyday," I said. "We leave on Saturday."

"Just be safe, okay?" she said.

I nodded. "I will."

~~~~~

Picture: Cayden's mom, Josefina.

Continue, yes or no? ^.^=