二十一

__

__

[content warning- depictions of panic/anxiety attack]

Hongjoong picked his shirt up off of the floor, slipped it back over his head and followed his eomma into the kitchen.

He sat down at the table, his hands limp in his lap as he watched her fix a cup of coffee.

Her back was to him, the only sounds between them was the clinking of the spoon against the rim of the mug as she stirred, mixing the cream and sugar with the coffee.

When she turned around her lips were a fine line, expressionless.

She sat down across from him, still paying him no mind, and took a long sip from her coffee. Once she set her mug down she finally looked at Hongjoong.

He wished she hadn't.

Disappointment was written all over her face.

"I managed to get off work early today," she explained, one hand still wrapped around the coffee mug.

"I did not realize what was going on in my own home while I was away but I guess I'm glad I found out."

She paused to take another sip of her coffee.

Hongjoong was anxious and fearful with how the conversation was being drawn out.

His body felt hot, his mouth dry.

His heart thumped so fast in his chest that it hurt.

With every moment that his mother kept quiet he could only hope for the best but know the worst was to come.

"I think it would be best if you stopped hanging around that Park boy."

(That Park boy.

He has a name. His name is Seonghwa and he's the best damn thing that has happened to me, Hongjoong thought. You know his name. You treated him like all the others, like a son. You told me you felt like it was good for me to be so close to someone like Seonghwa. You told me that you were happy I was opening myself up to people.)

"Why?" Hongjoong chastised himself for how small his voice sounded.

"He's a bad influence on you," She leaned back in her chair and looked down at Hongjoong with such an icy expression that it made his blood run cold.