__

__

The first week back dragged on, each day passed by slower than the one before it and each lesson plan and assignment drained a little more energy out of Hongjoong than the last.

Hongjoong bounced his leg as he stared down the clock, willing it to move faster.

He knew that doing so would only prolong his torture. The second hand slowly ticked around in a circle and at one point Hongjoong could have sworn he thought it moved backwards.

He huffed and turned his attention to the window and the clouds that slowly made their way across the sky.

In his peripheral he could see Seonghwa write down notes on whatever their teacher had been explaining to them.

The pink haired male had joined their group for the other two times they had met up to play basketball that week.

He proved himself to be a good enough player but Hongjoong still bested him and made him trip up over his own feet.

They all walked home together until they reached the crossroads in which they split up and Hongjoong would walk in silence with Seonghwa, a few feet separating them.

Hongjoong wouldn't call it an awkward silence but it wasn't entirely comfortable by any means either.

Hongjoong figured he should probably say something to Seonghwa, to at least try and strike up a conversation but he never had the energy to find the right words to say that didn't sound forced or insincere. Instead Hongjoong opted to say nothing at all.

On the few afternoons that they weren't playing basketball that week Hongjoong found himself back in the music room; playing the piano to his heart's content and scribbling thoughts down into his notebook.

He had actually managed to progress further in his song, not as much as he would like but progress was progress nonetheless. By now he had finished the melody and his only remaining struggle left were the lyrics. It was so close to being done that it pushed Hongjoong to practice for longer.

Seonghwa didn't disturb him either and by the time Hongjoong actually left the building in the late afternoons the other boy was nowhere to be seen, having already walked home by himself.

Hongjoong didn't know what he should expect - it's not like he had invited Seonghwa to listen to him play again. The boy had no reason to show up like he had on that one day.

Hongjoong tore himself away from his thoughts to steal a glance at Seonghwa and was surprised to see the boy looking back at him. As soon as their eyes met Seonghwa smiled at him softly. Hongjoong wanted to divert his gaze away, confused by the moment and the sudden way his stomach felt uneasy, when the bell rang and dismissed classes for the day.