Forty Two - Pearl

Shifting, I dressed in the same spot I'd left my clothes

Shifting, I dressed in the same spot I'd left my clothes.  I'd needed to clear my head and running with my wolf helped.  She'd been quiet since I'd decided to give up our life for Cassius's.  She wasn't in disagreement or upset, just resigned to the fact that it was the only way.

I'd left Sage having dinner with Sylar, Hunter, Misha and the kids.  I'd spent the day with my family, playing with the children.  But it became increasingly harder as the day wore on.  The emotional pull to keep it together was suffocating me.

And trying to act normal, when I felt anything but normal, was a strain and if I was honest as the minutes ticked by, my stomach felt like a pinball machine, worried that every laugh shared, word spoken would bring about a monumental breakdown.

I blew out a breath.

Looking up, it was dusk already.  I only had a few hours left.

Heading back inside the Pack house, I found all my family and Orion sat in the common room, hanging out as if old friends with the jukebox playing.  It was nice seeing them all happy and laughing.

I scanned the room for Willa.  She was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey." Sage spotted me standing in the doorway.  "Pleasant run, oui?"

Wanting to join them, I couldn't risk it, my nerves were on edge. "Yeah, but I'm gonna head to Cass's study. Have a few things I want to sort before he gets back."  I rolled my eyes exaggeratedly.  "Put everything back in its place, so he doesn't flip out." 

"I'm guessing he'll be blind again?" said Orion thoughtfully.

My stomach twisted in knots.  "Yeah, I guess he will." 

"Do you want any help?" asked Sage.

I made a pffing noise, trying to keep the lid on another sudden rush of emotion. "Nah, I'm good. Stay put, relax.  I'll find you later."

Hunter pulled her to his side and kissed the top of her head.  A sweet gesture I'd seen hundreds of times, but it still tugged at my tender heart, aching for something I'd never have.

Giving a little wave, I turned and dashed to Cassius's study.  Just about to make it inside without worry, I felt a hand on my shoulder, gripping, forcing me to turn.

It was Hunter.  Fuck!   I plastered on a smile.

"Listen, I know something weird is going on with you, yeah?"  He dropped his hand, running it through his hair.  "Stop fucking with me Pearl,"

Fuckity-fuck!    I didn't need this right now.  I was teetering on the edge.

Continuing, "all the hugging and not a hint of sarcasm or bite back from you all day."  He waited for me to jump in.  I swallowed. 

He grumbled.  "Sage feels it too.  You're not fooling anyone with this sweeter than sugar shit routine."  He inclined his head, gazing at me.  "What's wrong, Pearl?"