Forty - Pearl

Sat in the back of the Jeep with Willa, the tension inside the vehicle was fraught as Orion grilled me non-stop

Sat in the back of the Jeep with Willa, the tension inside the vehicle was fraught as Orion grilled me non-stop. Willa remained quiet, but her silence spoke volumes. She didn't believe me.

"And just like that, in two days. That thing—demon is just going to hop back into you?" he asked for the fourth time.

"I don't know how many ways you want me to say it Orion—yes."  I bit back my irritation.

"Why do I feel you're not telling us everything, Pearl?" He didn't mask his sarcasm.

"Like I already told you. It didn't tell me why. But apparently your brother is a pain in the arse and it wants to return to me." Carmel turned in her seat to look at me, eyes narrowing. "Obviously, I'm more fun to be with.  What can I say, it missed me!"

Orion scoffed. "Who knew his stubborn ass would save him one day?"

"If that is the case.  Then why wait? " asked Carmel.

Fuck! 

I shrugged.  "It's a batshit crazy demon." I threw my arms up.  "How the hell would I know what goes on inside its fucked up mind."

I folded my arms and stared out the window.  This was going to be the longest fucking car ride in history.

After a further ten more minutes of questions, they thankfully left me in peace. It also helped faking my tiredness pretending to fall asleep,  but somewhere along the journey home, I did fall asleep, as Willa shook me gently.

"We're home Pearl."

Yawning, I stretched out. I was exhausted, both physically and mentally.

"You want to get something to eat?" asked Willa.

I yawned again.  "No, if you don't mind, I want to get some rest." Opening the door stepping out, Willa hugged me before letting me go.  I knew all three watched me walk away as I headed inside, making a beeline for Cass's study.  Locking the door behind me, I hoped no one would come looking for me.  Kicking off my shoes, I lay down.

Right now, I needed to convince myself that I could spend time with my family and not have some sort of mental breakdown.  My last two days as me on this earth had to be filled with happy memories for them to remember me.

My chest tightened, the very thought of not seeing them again or watching the twins grow, or meet my nephew was a knife to my heart. "Your doing this for Cass, so he can have a life." He would be free. I would save him.

My eyes fell closed, and I slipped into a dominion of unconsciousness,

'Pearl.'

I was half in, half out of sleep.

'Pearl.'

There it was again; someone was saying my name.

Forcing my eyes open.  A shadow above me flickered.