Thirteen - Pearl

I'd been sitting at his bedside for nearly an hour

I'd been sitting at his bedside for nearly an hour. Seth and Noah had left to check on Orion and Sylar had just stepped out after offering me assurances for the tenth time that he would be okay but didn't have a reason—well, no physical reason The Alpha hadn't woken up yet.

Fuck my life!  Would someone cut me a break? I didn't want the day ending with my mate—potential mate in a freakin coma!

I would do whatever it took to put this right.  Even conceding going down on my knees—and not for the usual reason... 

Praying—Yeah, you heard me right. I would pray if it would fix this mess. 

My wolf whimpered then growled, obviously still upset and pissed at me.

Urgh!

Dragging my attention from the pits of my guilt, I watched Gunner's mate; Eve checking his vitals again. She showed little concern regarding The Alpha's condition.  Which was a good thing, Right?

In fact, she glowed with happiness. With the same smile plastered across those to die for lips for the past ten minutes. I could assume finding her mate was the reason. 

I spat out a frustrated sigh. "Why hasn't he woken yet?"

Eve turned her attention to me, but kept hold of the Alpha wrist, checking his pulse. "He is fine Luna. The enchanted silver will have no lasting effects." She adjusted his hand back at his side. "This isn't the first time we have had to use silver." She shook her head as if recalling a memory. "And I doubt it will be the last!"

The name Luna didn't sit well with me. I hadn't earned or deserved the title. "Please don't call me that—I'm not your Luna. Pearl is fine." 

"My apologies, I meant no offence... Pearl."

I chewed my bottom lip. "He won't want nothing to do with me when he wakes up."

"Why would you say such a thing? Gunner has told me wonderful things about you. By accounts the Alpha is very lucky to have you."

I scoffed. "Gunner said that?" Gunner had said more in grunts and eye rolls than actual words to me over the last two years.

She reached over the bed and cupped my cheek in a motherly fashion. "Do not worry Pearl. Everything will work out just fine."

She seemed confident, and I wanted to believe her. "Is it okay if I stay with him?"

"I think that's a splendid idea. Having his mate close will speed up the healing process." She smiled. "I will leave you both alone. But if you want me, I'm just down the hall to the right."

"Thank you and I'm sorry for all the trouble."

"Luna—Pearl."  She gave herself a little head-shake. "The trouble sits with Orion and mark my words, in a few days he will be back to winding his brother up."