Thirty Five - Pearl

Lay on the sofa in Cassius's study, a tear slid from the corner of my eye

Lay on the sofa in Cassius's study, a tear slid from the corner of my eye. I didn't bother to wipe it away, letting it run across my cheek and onto my ear. I held back another round of sobs, rolling to my side. I felt like I'd cried for three days non-stop.

Squeezing my eyes shut, holding the rest of the tears in place I forced myself up and padded to the small bathroom. Running some water, I washed my face. Through tired and puffy eyes I examined the bruising to my throat. Thankfully, it was fading, almost gone courtesy of my wolfie healing abilities.

My wolf whimpered, feeling the loss our mate too. It's okay, girl, we'll find him.

It had been four days since the Jinn had taken total control over our mate. And the look of complete desolation in his eyes before he darted off into the night had damn near ripped my heart out.

The first twenty-four hours I searched non-stop, until my feet ached and my wolf was near to collapse before The Elders forced me to return with Sylar.

"Pearl?" Heading back into Cassius's study, I called out, "In here." It was Orion.

"Hey, okay?" He looked around his brother's study.

I nodded and sat down on the old creaky sofa. "Yeah—have you heard from Seth, Noah or Nile?"

He shook his head. "Still nothing."

Fuck!

It didn't help that Cass had vanished in Logan's Pass, hours away from here. It made the search all the harder. Luckily, the Alpha from the Nightsbane Pack, Ryker, had volunteered his best trackers. It had surprised me, as Cassius had killed quite a few of his wolves before shifting and taking off. Perhaps he just wanted him off his lands?

I reached for a loose pillow and hugged it tightly. I'd slept in his study since arriving back. It was here his scent was the strongest and I took some comfort in closing my eyes and pretending he was here. "I never thought I could miss someone this much."

Orion sat beside me and ran his arm around me, pulling me toward me. I rested my head in the crook of his shoulder. "We'll find him Pearl; my brother is the strongest wolf I know." He tightened his hold to reassure me. "But honestly, how are you holding up? Still no weirdness from the moon goddess hitching a ride?"

Everyone was looking at me differently once they heard. But honestly, I did nothing. Luna and my squatters banded together along with the Elders' magic and banished Selene from Ember. I couldn't remember what happened. Only waking up and seeing all hell break loose and Cassius on a killing spree.

I sighed, swallowing the emptiness. "How's Sylar?"

Noah had told me Sylar's wolf had protected Ember, and I wasn't sure what to think of that. Luna had sent him to sleep, so he wouldn't get hurt.