Eighteen - Sylar

We had gone as far as we could by jeep and now; we ran as wolves weaving through the trees, following the small golden flickering light that Elder Ester had magicked to lead us to my mate

We had gone as far as we could by jeep and now; we ran as wolves weaving through the trees, following the small golden flickering light that Elder Ester had magicked to lead us to my mate... Willa.

'Spread out.  She has to be here.' The Alpha instructed as we burst through the tree line to see the water dead ahead.

The golden light stopped its hypnotic dance.

He snarled as in rage as I shot a look his way for him to lift his lip, showing me a glimpse of his menacing canines. 

He had point blank ignored me up to this point in our travels to locate Willa.  Unless you counted his harsh thoughts referring to me as a runt and I wasn't fit to be his sister's mate!

Great first impression, Sylar!

He didn't know I could hear his thoughts.  And probably better that he didn't. 

As we spread out along the shoreline.  I could feel her.  She was close.  I was sure of it.  In the darkness I thought I saw a head of white hair.  Shifting to man I ran into the water, diving headfirst, the cold waters not affecting my goal.

I surfaced, eagerly scanning the shifting waters.  Wolfsbane!   Where was she?

There!  "Willa!"

The cold was biting as the swell of water forced me under.  I broke the surface, spitting out water as my wolf whimpered.  I'd lost sight of her again.

It's okay, boy, we'll find her.

I swam like my life depended on it—and it did.  If she died, I would only be half a soul surviving, and I knew I didn't want to live in a world where she didn't. 

I opened my senses and pushed them outwards, sending tiny vibrations through the water... If I couldn't physically see her, I would need to feel for her. 

'Sylar.'

That was Willa... I snatched a deep breath and submerged my head.

She was there! 

Fighting through waters that felt as thick as mud, it seemed intent on pushing and pulling me in all directions. I pushed harder, ignoring the burn to my lungs.  She was all that mattered.

I grabbed her around the waist, and she panicked, jolted to life in my hold, and tried to fight me.  'Willa... it's me... Sylar. Stop fighting me.'

She didn't relax, but stopped fighting me.  'Kick your legs and help me get you back to shore.'

'I knew you'd come.'

She did as instructed, as we fought against the churning waters.  My feet touched the water banks, and Seth and Nile waded toward us as they lifted Willa from me.  Following, I dropped to my knees, shivering.