Chapter 45

Chapter 45

"Seems like a good fit." Tom said laughing at Ally out in the yard with Aries.

Ally was throwing a ball for the dog and when he would come back she would pop it up with her foot and kick the slobbery mess up in the air again so he could get it. After the first few times of getting slobber all over her hand she gave up and used her foot. It was actually quiet amusing.

The dog was a monster, but in three days Aries has made her smile and laugh enough that I sent the ranch a donation. At the moment Aries had come to a halting stop before Ally and was snorting at her to throw the ball and she was negotiating. "Ok, Aries. Only one more throw." He snorted at her and I tried to cover my amused chuckle. "I mean it." No she didn't. She'd give in and I know it.

"I don't think I've seen her smile so much." I whispered to Tom with a huge grin of my own and he nodded.

The screen door swung open and Vance came out, passing Tom and I another drink and calling out to Ally. "Ally Cat!" He held up a glass once he got her attention.

"Oh come on Aries, I know you're lazy at heart." She spoke to the dog and he picked his ball up, following her to the deck to lay down in his bed. "Thanks." She told Vance as she took the glass of lemonade from him, taking a big drink and setting it down on the table.

"So what's the run down this week?" Vance asked as he sat down and Ally sat down in a chair across from me.

She glanced at Tom before her eyes came back to linger on me with a intimate smile. "Well your dad doesn't think it's a good idea to go back to the apartment." She started. "I'm not going to argue with him on it. It's a horrible idea with everything else that's going on." She waved a hand about in dismissal and her smile died a little. "I know you have to go back to the bar soon so ill let you know now." She paused looking at Vance. "The whole building has been wired up with cameras that the customers can't see and a silent alarm. You can check on the bar from any location using your computer or phone and it has a silent alarm."

Vance leaned back with a straight expression as Ally waited for his reaction. To me she looked nervous making me frown. Why would she be so worried about his reaction? "Dad's idea?" He asked raising a brow.

Ally stopped looking at Vance with a spark of determination in her eyes, a complete change from her nervousness. It still surprises me when she does that. "No." She narrowed her eyes at my brother. "It was my idea. I'm sorry but its for the best. My last visit has been cleared for tomorrow. I'm going to get it over with."

"What?" Vance asked. "I won't argue if you don't go see them." His voice turned harsh. "They. Are. Not. Your family! We are!" Vance stood up and stormed into the house.

"He's not mad at you, Ally." Tom spoke rubbing her shoulder before walking in the house after Vance.

I scowled at the door a little pissed at Vance's outburst before turning to Ally. She was sitting cross legged on the chair, her elbow propped up, her chin resting against her hand, staring out into the yard with a sad expression.

Standing up I grabbed her hand and pulled her up out of the chair. Kissing her forehead I spoke. "He's not angry with you." I whispered and she took in a deep breath against my chest as I rubbed her back. "Come on. Lets go." I led her down the stairs. "Aries." I called the dog and he jumped up off his bed excitedly.

"Where are we going?" Ally asked as we came around to the back door of the barn.

I smiled checking the four wheeler for gas and signaled for Aries to jump up into the box on the back. "Just get on." I chuckled and she gave me an amused smirk before hopping on the seat and sliding back. Aries huffed and shifted paws excitedly.