Chapter 18.

Chapter 18.

With well practiced technique I closed the front door without a sound. Not as if it could be heard through the shouts and noise of men drinking in the kitchen. Swearing to myself I waited trying to consider how to get past so many in one room. The way the sounds of booming laughter and crude language seemed to echo told me that whatever the event, it was centered around the round table in the kitchen and not in the dinning room by the bar.

I stepped forward hoping for the best with my pack slung over one shoulder. 15 steps to the stairs...head high...13 steps...10 steps to the stairs...6 steps. The screech of a chair being pushed back. Laughter stopping.

"Where do you think your off to little queen?" Domino spat his mocking endearment, his mood sour.

I turned to face him my shoulders tight, my eyes level, hoping to hold my head up high enough that he couldn't see my heart threatening to beat its way out of my chest. "I'm not your pet, Dom." I spoke trying to make my tone sound board. On any other day their might have been a few verbal shots and then he would think he won, leaving me on my way. Today I saw fire flash through his eyes as his anger grew.

"Drake sent me to get you. I came back empty handed!" He screamed. "I had more than enough men looking and looked twice myself! Now. Where were you!" His face reddened and his voice dripped with demanding venom.

"School, Dom. Then I went for a run. I wasn't in one place to long." I tried to amend the situation. Domino's stalked forward and I backed up to side step him as his speed grew. With a large hand wrapped around my arm he swung me around the corner so my back slammed into the wall out of view of the kitchen.

Domino ran his hand up to pull my head back to face him, his grip tight in my hair. "You lie. You're up to something and even the boss sees it." His voice was harsh yet mocking, filled with his irritation with me. "Your brother sees it! So if I had to take the failure..." He ran rough path with his hand down my face and hesitated to grip to tightly around my throat. "Where were you?" His voice softened his anger switching to his hands as they moved down my sides.

"Get off, Dom! I told you! Just call Drake if he wants to talk to me!" I screamed at him as I tried to force him back. His hands burned my skin and I began to feel sick with the realization that I wouldn't come out of this argument without my fear of being sexually abused being for filled. "Dom! Off!"

"I think I need to know what kind of trouble my future wife is up to." He barked and his words felt like jagged ice down my spine. No. He's not. It won't happen. Screw his fricken plan.

"This wont get you there. Get the fuck off!" My arm shot up with its release from where it was pinned between us. I twisted and brought my elbow back into his face. He faltered in shock and I took my opening to punch him in the face.

"What the the hell is this!" Drake demanded as I was dropped at his feet in the center of the foyer were he just arrived. The side of my face burned as much as the pain in my shoulders and ribs.

I spit blood on the floor before glaring up at Drake. "Ask the screw up?" I calmly inclined my head towards Domino. Dom moved towards me and Drake called him off with a hand in the air. Dom stopped because he feared both Drake and still my father. He needed Drake's favor to secure a spot at the top.

Domino moved carefully because he needed Drake to persuade my father and push me into marriage. It would leave Dom second if my father passed. If something happened to Drake it would only leave the two of us and the enforcers to complete a new hierarchy.

"Whatever the cause of this? Do you think the bruises on her face won't bring questions from more than just me?!" He questioned Domino.

"When I questioned her about where she was she attacked me. Either she's quiet the little protege or she outsourced." Domino was sporting a bruised nose and a cheek. I tried finding his soft spot but he didn't go down. None of the other enforcers interfered, fights were just how things were settled. "She wouldn't give an answer or say where she's been."