Chapter 15

Josh-

Vance woke up with one hell of a hang over and in a glum mood. He was quick to take off home after coffee with the promise that he would be back later tonight. He had a bartender call in and was extremely irritated by it. Weekends were usually busy and I think all he wanted was some time to himself. His argument with Ally had more to do with it then his migraine.

I understood to an extent I guess. Still I didn't know enough to be any kind of help to either of them. I could only hope that it gets sorted out soon. Ally had a really hard time expressing anything personal. Her usual few words were an obvious indicator. It hurts her to not be able to. If Vance would have actually looked at her on the way home he would have seen it. I didn't miss the helpless looks she gave him or how she only looked away when she looked like she might cry. How her saddened expression turned into one of regret.

So I spent the day arranging a visit to mom and dad's for next weekend. Mom gabbed forever and to my surprise she didn't have some art viewing and the time was free. It would be good for us and maybe Ally could go.

Walking into the place I expected to see the usual guy or two in training, maybe a few of the old crew I hadn't seen since I moved out of state. When I actually made it in, the gym was packed full of patrons, all shouting and cheering for the bets to end in their favor as the opponents in the ring circled each other.

I spotted Rick first heading for the ring and I snagged his attention. "Hey! Josh, my brother!" We shook hands our old way. "Nice to see you in town! Tell me you're staying."

"Yeah, I plan on it." I smirked at him. Rick and I go back to far. We used to frequent the same school and ran with the same crowd. Not to good of one by the trouble we managed to get into.

Dad started pushing me after that, encouraging me to join the navy like he did and become a seal. I served some time but got out. I took SWAT as a compromise and found myself falling in love with my career even with the downward emotional stress that comes after having to put a bullet in somebody's head. Really though I know what I'm doing is important. No matter how hard it is to take another persons life, I know SWAT is called in as a last option and we work closely with negotiators in hostage situations.

"Good. Good." Ricky's attention was split and the call bell for the fight rung through the blast of cheers. "Hey," he continued regretfully. "Stick around would you. I gotta get up there. We got one match left."

I nodded quickly. "Yeah, man. We can grab a beer and catch up."

"The boys will be happy to see you." He smiled at me and wove threw the crowd.

After some time I spotted a few old friends up front and took my place with them. After a few long time no sees our attention was sucked back up to the ring. Being here gave me a feeling of nostalgia. After spending so long away I wondered how it could feel like nothing's bothered to change when so much has. The same feelings, same atmosphere, just different faces, different time.

"Alright! Alright!" The announcers booming voice spread through the microphone. "Last bets tonight, gentlemen, oh, oh, right a few women tonight." He wooed the audience. Gaining their attention and favor again, he began to build them up, get them hyped. "Get them in while you still can because we save the best for last!" The crowd cheered.

Once it died down I saw Tom make it through to our side spotting me for the first time. "Hey! When did you get in!" He smiled pulling me in for a quick handshake hug.

"I haven't even settled yet. You still stuck in this dump?" I joked.

He laughed. "This dump is stuck with me and if I remember correctly you used to say the same shit. You love this place and you know it."