Chapter 19.

Chapter 19.

Alexandra fell asleep only twenty minutes into a movie that none of us payed attention too. Tom gave his goodbyes and took a taxi home at three o'clock in the morning with promise to keep an eye out for Ally at the gym and keep in touch. I knew we could trust him and Ally trusted him or she wouldn't have let him come here even if we did know him.

"Josh?" Vance groaned in a whisper from his spot on the couch. "I don't know how she turned out to have such a big heart growing up around that." He sounded as if he was getting a bit choked up. Something a very rarely seen in my brothers normally comedic demeanor. I put my arm up and quickly rubbed his arm.

"I've heard stories about cases where SWAT's been called in for that gang." I shook my head feeling my chest tighten. "They don't hesitate, they like to get up close too, fight with there hands or a knife if they can. Its some code of conduct that guns are a necessary but last resort, like how they end the fight earns more respect. Trained dogs is what they are. The only attachments they have are on the inside. The only way to recognize a member is by brand or conduct. It's so tightly structured that they don't even have a recognizable name and for good reason. Elijah leaves no paper trails and has a fall out plan for everything." I tried to recall everything I've ever heard on the Trovessa family. I had never heard a solid mention of Elijah having a daughter. "That's we're Ally learned strategy I bet. We can't let her out of our sites and we need to work on us getting her to dad. She might trust that dad would want the best for her because of us and our now involvement."

"He does have solid connections. He is the most informed retired man I know and knowing dad he'll love her. I bet he's been itching to give something his special attention." Vance added. Dad was the kind of man who's seen everything, being a man of service. He's the kind of person who presence calmly commands respect. It's given and because he's holds a deeper friendliness when he's not under formal circumstances. He keeps those connections by opening his own, always willing to pass on his wisdom from experience. "I'm in with her, Josh. I have to help if I can or how I can. You're going to have to call dad and give him a heads up. Absolute bare minimum. Let Ally decide."

"How do you plan on getting her there?" I asked.

"I don't know yet." Vance stated. " I'll figure it out. Mom and dads is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I could convince her to get away from the city. She likes the river."

"The river huh?" I studied Ally's sleeping face. Even in rest she still furrowed her brows occasionally in pain despite her exhausted state. I brushed her hair away from her face and lay back. "Does she like it enough to get her to dad's?"

Vance let out a long tired breath. "Yeah, she loves it. She sits under the bridge sometimes and watches the water. She does it for hours sometimes but I don't know why."

My brother might know Ally better than anybody, still there was so much more to her than the witty personality she showed us both. Vance and I both knew that she had secrets, she was hiding out for Christ sake but tonight's confessions felt like a stab to my heart. Honestly I haven't been home long enough to see the way she reacted to anybody else. I'm drawn to her though. That I can't help and I won't leave her alone. That's not an option. Vance sees it that way too.

We might never know the whole story though. It's not our place to I guess. It's just that somehow Tom, Vance, and I have fell in as her support system and I want to keep it that way. Nobody deserved to be dumped in the middle of that world. As it is I think Alexandra might be the Trovessa family's best kept secret. Not once have I heard her name being brought up in association. I believed her though. I also believed that her scars told more of the story than she would offer.

Vance's light snore wasn't a positive contribution to my already sleepless worry. Every time I closed my eyes I pictured Ally at the mercy of the gang again, running through every preventative measure. She tossed in her sleep and mumbled incoherently. I pulled her closer because if I couldn't calm her I would have to wake her and she looked so beat already.