Chapter 47 - Move

When the door closes behind Pablo, the adrenaline clicks on inside me immediately. It propels me forward as I walk quickly out of the bathroom and look around the aisles for both Pablo and Danny, the unread test in my pocket now a distant thought, shoved down deep because I know that the results risk me carrying through with this horrible plan. I can't look until I leave the house tonight. I have to get through this first.

Unsurprisingly, Pablo is gone. But surprisingly, Danny is as well.

I do a quick lap across the back row of the store, glancing up each aisle for him, but there is no sign of him, so I walk through the last aisle to the front and leave the store.

When I look towards where we parked the car, I spot the back of him facing away from me, his arm up holding a phone to his ear.

Why would he be out here? Why wasn't he inside waiting for me?

"Danny," I call out, and his shoulders jump a little as he turns around, clicking the end button on his phone and shoving it in his pocket. His eyes skim over me quickly as I squint at him.

"Why are you out here?" I ask him, waving my arm toward the car.

"I got a call, sorry," he replies as he opens the passenger door of the car for me.

"Enzo?" I ask as I climb in and he nods before closing the door.

I decide to let it go as he gets in the driver's side and we drive towards the house. There are bigger and worse things for me to deal with right now than Danny not watching my every move. Actually, this was the one convenient day that he wasn't.

It doesn't take long for us to reach the house. It's getting darker now thankfully, which will make it easier later. I take a mental picture of the big beautiful house as we drive up the long curved driveway and park in front of the main doors. I get out and go inside before he opens his car door, running up the main stairs towards my room.

I page Daria on the intercom, just to make sure she isn't here. She shouldn't be. Enzo said it was just Danny and Zach and I - one of which will be easy to get around, the other not so much.

I have an hour left before the car gets here and I have to leave, but I force that thought down with the test thought. I need to get through the next hour without breaking down. If I think about what this means - what leaving really means - I don't know if I'll be able to do it. And then Enzo will die.

No.

I'm getting through this.

For him.

I can't be selfish this time. For once in my life, I have to do something I hate purely out of my lvoe for him. Before Enzo, there wasn't anything or anyone that would make me do something like this unless I wanted to. Well, besides my mother... but look how that turned out...

When Daria doesn't appear in my room after a few minutes, I get to work quickly, running into my closet and yanking my old bags out from behind the clothes Enzo got me where I hid them from him. I knew if he could see the bags out in the open, he would always think I was leaving.

I guess in the end, it didn't matter either way...

I grab my phone, switching it off, and the pregnancy test from my pocket and shove them deep into the pocket of a pair of pants at the bottom of the first duffel bag and zip it closed. I open the second and grab black leggings and a black t-shirt from the top, stripping my jumpsuit off and putting those on instead. I throw the jumpsuit into the laundry bin in the corner of the room. I'm not taking anything he bought me with me. I'm already forced to take enough.