Chapter 42 - Warehouse

[Next Saturday]

The past week and a half have been quiet. After making up with Enzo, I made my way back into the rest of the house the next day. Although he barely left me out of his sight, but when I was, no one really came near me or spoke to me. Even the dirty looks stopped. Maybe out of pity, I don't know. But they stopped all the same.

I'm in the vault in the basement loading handguns for tonight when I hear quiet footsteps behind me entering the room. I can't help but let it remind me of the night in the kitchen.

But this time I'm not unarmed.

I haven't been since.

I click the safety off the gun in my hand and spin around quickly, holding it up towards the door.

Danny's bright blue eyes meet mine as he smirks, holding his palms up in front of his chest in fake-surrender.

"I knew you were mad at me, little lion, but shooting me? Come on."

I roll my eyes and lower the gun, turning around to continue loading the others.

"What do you want, Danny?" I ask over my shoulder and I feel him come closer beside me.

"I wanted to see how you were... you know, after last week..." His voice is softer than before. The amusement is gone. He almost sounds like he cares... but I know that's not true.

"I'm fine." I say quickly, not looking up to him as I put the clips in each gun.

"Cat..." He says quietly, placing his hand on the crate in front of me, trying to get my attention. I pause, staring at his hand.

"I hope you know that if I was here that night I wouldn't have let him get anywhere close to you." He says in the same tone from my bathroom two weeks ago.

I turn and look up to him slowly. He looks almost sincere. But I think his words are more so another dig at Enzo than anything else they could potentially mean.

"Why do you even care?" I ask, probably too defensively but I can't help it. I'm still pissed at him. "The whole thing proved your point. I wasn't ready before. I couldn't get away from him."

He frowns and looks down toward the crate. If I didn't know him any better, I would think he almost looks like he feels guilty. But I do know better.

"He was a huge guy. You shouldn't have been able to get away from him." He mumbles and I stare at him, not sure what to say to that. "Besides, we both know I didn't mean what I said." He adds after a second.

"Then why say it?" I counter and he looks back up, meeting my eyes.

"You know why."

"No, I don't." I reply adamantly and turn back towards my guns. "And don't pretend it was some fake worry for me. We both know you only care about yourself."

I know I'm right. He can't deny that. And if he counters with some bullshit about not wanting me to distract Enzo out there and get him killed, I'm going to shoot him right here and now.

I hear him scoff quietly before replying. "True. But that doesn't mean I want to see you get killed."

"I won't." I mumble.

I'm so fucking tired of having to prove myself here. Have I died yet?

"You don't know that. This isn't like our work down the hall. Nobody is tied up and at our will out there. It's very different."

Like I don't know that?

"I'm ready." I tell him as I bend down and secure the first gun in the holster around my calf above some knives.