Chapter 34 - Eavesdropping

By the following evening, things aren't fully better between Enzo and I. We were fine during dinner together last night, talking a little more, but he barely touched me when we went to bed. When I woke up, he was gone again and has been all day.

I don't want to take it personally. I know he's busy. I got out of Anthony that they found Gino. But still, it's hard to stay here alone all day and not obsess over him not touching me since Tony called. Or is it since he visited Eva? It's hard to know which, if not both, are the cause.

Around 10pm, I hear his voice come from the lobby and I jump out of my bed to find him.

The house is dark and seemingly empty, but I see a little light coming from under his study's doors. I move closer.

"Enzo, we need to talk." I hear someone say and I walk closer, noticing the door is just barely cracked. Not even enough for them to notice it isn't closed from his desk. But enough for me to hear if I'm within a foot of the door.

"I know today was bad and there's a lot going on. But there has been an issue brewing with the men." I hear a deep voice say. That has to be Anthony. "I kept it contained for awhile, but now it's starting to leak out past the house. You need to solve it before it becomes a much larger issue."

"What's happening?" That's Enzo. I would know his voice anywhere.

"Frankly, they think you have grown soft since she moved in." Anthony says in a cautious tone and my eyes widen. I know he means me.

"Cooking with her, the garden, all your free time is with her, sleeping with her," he pauses and then rushes out "I mean in your bedroom. That's what I have heard."

Enzo huffs loudly. "What do you think?" He doesn't sound surprised, honestly.

"I think every king needs a queen." Anthony says after a moment. Is he still talking about me? A queen?! "You are happy with her and she has the gifts you suspected. With the um, tasks, she has been given, she is ruthless and merciless. But for the organization. She does what needs to be done willingly. She's deadly and calculated. In a good way. How you were." I think he means that as a compliment to me... I wish I could thank him.

"Were." Enzo repeats in a deadly tone. I can only imagine Anthony's face right now and his regret for using the past tense.

"Are. But they only see her doing the dirty work now. Her and the lunatic."

Lunatic? Who the hell is that?

"I hired her to do a job which she does well. What do they expect her to do here?"

"I don't think I need to answer that." Anthony replies. No, he doesn't need to answer it. We are all well aware of my image here.

"Is it because of where she's from?" Enzo says in a quieter tone. I scoot closer to the door to listen better.

"Probably somewhat. They don't take her seriously. Or you for hiring and living with a stripper, and that's the good word for what they call her. Not me, but others."

"What the fuck do they want me to do? Make her leave? Will they respect me again then?"

My heart tugs at his words more than it should. I knew this was temporary... but I thought I would have the year with him...

"They want her gone." Anthony replies slowly, cautiously. "They don't want the risk of you putting her before them." So exactly what Danny said...

"Fucking children, all of them..." Enzo curses and I can picture his face buried in his hands, exasperated.

"Maybe, but they aren't completely wrong..."

Even Anthony agrees?!

Fuck.