Chapter 44 - Trust

[The next day]

"You're sure it doesn't hurt?" I ask Enzo as I run my fingers up and down his forearm lightly.

"No, princess." He lies, giving me a small fake smile.

"Sit up, then." I challenge him and his eyes widen slightly.

He thinks about it for a second as I smirk, knowing his answer already.

"Maybe later," he mumbles, trying to keep up his macho-facade.

I chuckle and then sigh. Before I can reply something sarcastic, a knock comes from the door and it opens.

I pull my hand back from Enzo and lean back in my seat as Anthony walks in carrying a large black duffel bag.

"Sorry to interrupt. I got what you asked for." He nods politely at me and sets the black bag down at my feet.

"Thank you, Anthony dear." I smile and wink up to him where I know Enzo can't see from his bed. He looks down almost immediately, not wanting to be involved in my fun.

"I'm shot, not deaf," I hear Enzo grumble in warning beside me.

I turn and grin at his snarling face. "Just kidding."

His eyes roll, but I know he knows I'm joking.

"Did Paulie take the bait?" Enzo asks, turning his attention away from my joke and to Anthony.

He nods. "Our inside guy told us he lost his mind and started making plans to attack Tony."

"Good." Enzo says.

"We can't sell them for awhile or he'll know." Anthony replies and I nod, agreeing, not that either asked for my input. "We stored them in the basement of HQ."

"In a few months we'll start the distribution, mixing them into his normal order to us so they-" Enzo's voice is cut off by him wincing, making me stand and move to his side, placing my right palm on his bicep as I stare down at him worriedly.

"Should I get the doctor?" Anthony asks slowly. I can hear the worry in his voice. I don't dare to look in his eyes and see it too.

"I'm fine!" Enzo snaps as his face distorts in pain, saying the opposite.

"If you would take the meds-" I start but he cuts me off.

"Caterina, no." He snaps and I grit my teeth. "I told you before. I won't be tweaked out of my mind while we're holed up in a fucking vet office."

"And if the boss dies, who benefits?" I counter, glaring at him.

His jaw tightens. I pissed him off. I don't really care though, I know I'm right. "I'm not going to die. It's a gut wound."

"Barely," I mumble under my breath and start to turn away to walk out, but his fingers wrap around my wrist, holding me back at his side.

"Anthony," he barks as I stay still, my back to him, looking at Anthony by the door. "Ask the doctor for other options that won't make me pass out or incoherent."

Anthony's eyes widen slightly - just enough to be noticeable if you are looking for it - as he looks from me to Enzo. After a brief second, he nods once and disappears out the door.

"What did I say about arguing with me in front of others?" Enzo says to my back and I spin around quickly enough for him to let go of my wrist.

"It was Anthony," I wave my hand towards the door, rolling my eyes.

"And?" He counters, his eyes narrowing.

This is going to get us nowhere. We have been down this road before.