Chapter 24 - Fate

[Enzo's POV]

The driver stops after about 30 minutes and unlocks the doors. Anthony slides out first and holds my door open.

"Stay close to me." I warn Cat quietly as I grab her hand and pull her out of the car. I can't read her expression from the brief second I looked at her before getting up.

Once out, Anthony slams the door shut and stands to my right. Cat stays to my left, her elbow touching mine but I let go of her hand.

It's cold. I hope she isn't freezing without her coat.

I look around. I picked this area to bring John because it's secluded. No hikers or unwanted visitors are up in these forests. And even if they did come here, it's too dark out for them to be out now.

The headlights from the vehicles illuminate the side of the path where several of my men are gathered, watching me and waiting for instruction. In the middle of them is John, kneeled on the grass with his head hanging. His hands and ankles are bound with rope, his mouth duct taped closed.

I wonder what Cat is thinking. She was excited in the car but this may be too much for her now. She has to know what's about to happen by now. There is really only one way this ends.

I wanted to get her out of the house. She was bored, beyond bored, I could tell. But maybe this was the wrong choice...

My men glance between me and her, making the territorial side of me come back out. I step forward, slightly to my left to shield her a little and look to my man David standing closest to the filth kneeling. His eyes flick to mine instantly, off of her. Good.

"Remove the tape." I command and he reaches down, yanking the tape off roughly with a loud ripping noise that would make anybody with a weak stomach flinch.

He grunts and finally looks up to meet my eyes with a knowing, yet petrified glare.

"Do you know why you are here?" I ask loudly, my voice deep and authoritative. The men would respect no less.

Panic flashes through his eyes. He looks behind me, narrowing his eyes in confusion, and I instantly step closer to him, bringing his focus back to me.

"Jonathan. Do you know why you are here?" I repeat slowly, my impatience and annoyance growing within my chest.

"Enzo... I'm sorry... I fucked up. I'll pay you back!" He rambles and I hold my hand up, cutting him off. He gulps and looks down at my feet.

I turn my attention to the other men, watching us silently in a semi-circle around us.

"I made you all come here so you can see the effects of stealing from this family. Now more than ever we need absolute trust and loyalty in this organization. Without it, we fall." I start walking inside the semi circle, looking each man in his eye as I pass slowly.

"Without it, we break." My voice rises. "Without it, we are nothing."

As I pass the back of John's head, I turn and kneel, yanking his hair and head back, exposing his neck. I grab the switchblade from my pocket and hold it to his neck, pressing in until a drop of blood trickles down.

"Was it worth it?" I whisper in his ear and he shakes, fighting against my grip.

I look up and meet Cat's wide eyes. A smirk forms across her face as she watches with approval, making me grin wickedly back at her, not caring who sees here.

Before I look back down, I notice Anthony is beside her, closer than before. I hope that's for her protection. But now is not the time for jealous thoughts...