Chapter 33 - Trust

After I hang up, I turn off the tap and walk out of the bathroom into Enzo's room. He's nowhere to be found.

I throw my dress from yesterday on and walk out of the room. There's no guards outside the door or outside my bedroom down the hall. That's unusual.

I quickly change in my room into dark blue fitted jeans and a royal blue blouse with flats, before venturing down the stairs.

"Anthony!" I call when I see him turn a corner a few feet away.

He turns back and frowns. That's never a good sign.

"Where did he go?" I ask him, walking closer.

"He said 'out'..." He replies and then looks down to his feet. He's hiding something.

"Tell me." I command and he doesn't reply. "Please," I add in a softer tone, growing a little desperate.

He looks up at me with a tinge of pity in his eyes. I don't like it.

"To see an old friend." He answers vaguely. My chest tightens more than I like.

"An old business friend?" I ask, hope present in my voice.

He shakes his head. I have my answer. And it irritates me to no end.

"Thank you." I say through gritted teeth and turn and walk away.

"Caterina!" His deep voice bellows after I'm a few steps away.

I turn back.

"I wouldn't worry too much about her." He offers with a small smile. I think he wants to say more, but values his job here more than that desire.

I smile - a fake smile - and nod. Then I turn and walk out to the backyard, pulling my cell out of my back pocket.

I find Enzo's name at the top of my favourites list and click it.

It rings. And rings. And rings. But no answer.

I don't understand what's happening... I get a single phone call from Tony and he runs off to see his ex?

Maybe they aren't correlated...

Deep down, I know they are, though.

Am I even allowed to be mad at that? If I am, should I be angry?

Either way, I fucking am. I'm jealous. And I hate it.

I walk over to the small table and two chairs I set up near the garden, sitting down on the chair closest to the plants. I sit here for what feels like hours, remembering the day he brought me to this very spot and showed me all the garden things he bought and all the other moments we had out here over the past month and a half.

In my entire life, no one has ever done something as genuinely kind as he did with this garden. Never. Not even close. Of all the things he has given me since coming here - hell, even coming here was a gift - this was my favourite. And thinking back to that, and all the little moments together, makes it hard for me to stay mad at him for leaving. Now, I'm pissed at myself more for allowing myself to even be that soft.

"Where's your captor?"

I jump a little at Danny's voice, lost in my own head too much to hear his footsteps coming.

He slumps into the chair across from me, dressed in his usual black pants and white button up shirt.

"At the moment, I believe he's with some woman named Eva." I tell him, looking back at the plants.

There's a moment of silence. I can feel his eyes on me, though, studying my thoughts.

"I wouldn't worry about her." Danny says in a softer tone than I'm used to from him.