Chapter 2 - Why

[Cat's POV]

As soon as Felicity pulls me out of the room from a very angry Mr. Todd, I know instantly who she is bringing me to.

Will he kill me for what I saw?

Probably. They don't like loose ends in the mafia. I've seen enough of his crew in here before to know he's part of it. He must be the boss. I can tell by his suit - it's better than the rest.

Then again, if he wanted to kill me, he could have done it when he was holding his gun outside. No one would have noticed a measly stripper going missing. Well... maybe Felicity. I do make her a lot of money. But no cops would know. Nobody else would come looking for me.

"Did he say what he wants?" I whisper to Felicity as she ushers me down the hall in a hurry.

"For $5,000, I can only imagine." She replies, her voice in awe, blinded by the dollar signs.

$5,000 to kill me? That doesn't make sense.

She opens the third door and pushes me through with a look that clearly means 'don't blow this'.

"You." I hear his deep voice again, it is definitely the man from outside. I don't even have to look up to know.

"What can I do for you?" I ask in my most seductive tone, raising my eyes to meet his across the room.

He looks me over slowly, wickedly and hungrily, like I'm his dessert after the main course outside. It makes me nervous in a way no other customer has done.

"What did you mean outside?" He asks suddenly, returning his gaze to mine and taking a step closer. "That he earned it?" He clarifies.

I gulp. Fuck. I shouldn't have said it out loud. I meant it. But I should have known better.

Since when am I the one who gives out secrets?

"I heard what he did to the girl." I shrug, trying to sound less indifferent than I really feel towards the dead man.

"So?" He asks, an amused smile creeping on his handsome face, making small dimples form.

"So men like that earned their punishment." I say more clearly, looking him directly in his eyes. "Don't you agree?" I question him a little too bravely, knowing he could still decide to kill me too.

Why do I have this big mouth around him? I can't even stop myself.

He pauses to assess if he thinks I'm telling the truth and then nods. "Yes."

I already knew he agreed, or he wouldn't have pulled the trigger, but something about this man makes me want to both talk more and hear his voice more... I can't stop the words coming out of my mouth to prolong the conversation.

"Why do it here?" I ask, taking a step closer and running my hand slowly down the bed post that connects to the black canopy.

"Why not?" He counters with a shrug, watching my fingers.

I laugh softly. "For one, it's a little public. Anyone could have seen." I smirk at him and an amused smile plays on his lips as he watches me inch closer with every step but doesn't move a muscle.

"Where would you have chosen?" He tests me and I take the bait.

I think it over for a moment and then answer. "Flanders River."

His eyes widen for a second and then he smiles a little. I think he's impressed by my answer... or he thinks I'm crazy... I'm not sure which.

"Nobody hikes near there. Drowning is a longer way to go, too. Not as easy as a bullet." I explain, hoping he agrees. That pig deserved worse than just a quick bullet. He was out of his misery much too quickly.