Chapter 45 - Tests

[Cat's POV]

It's not long before I'm changed into my black jumpsuit and in the car with Danny. I give him the address Tony gave me and expect him to ask about it, but thankfully he doesn't.

It's silent for more than half way through the drive. But with Danny, that never lasts long...

And it doesn't.

"Are we going to talk about it?" I hear him randomly ask and I turn to look at him. He stays looking ahead at the road, his right hand gripping the top of the steering wheel, the other resting on his lap.

"There's nothing to talk about," I mumble and he chuckles humourlessly.

"Sure, Cat."

His sarcastic tone irritates me as usual.

"Little lion is gone now?" I retort, rolling my eyes as I look at the red car in front of us.

"I didn't think you liked it."

"Since when does that matter?" I reply in a tone I know is cold, but I can't help it.

After a few moments, he lets out a deep sigh.

"Cat, I didn't let him get shot."

I really don't want to talk about this...

"I know that," I lie.

"Do you?" He says unconvinced and I look at him.

"Yes."

I watch him continue staring at the car ahead of us, taking a second, like he's debating what to say.

"You aren't acting like it," he finally says. "You won't even look at me."

"I'm looking at you right now," I counter in what I know full-well is child-like defiance.

"That's not what I mean." He turns, looking into my eyes. After a second, I look back out the window and he sighs. "See?"

I know he's right. He knows he's right. But it doesn't really change anything.

I sigh after a second of uncomfortable silence and give in a little to him. "What do you want from me, Danny?"

I see him glance at me for just a second in the corner of my eye. "To go back to before between us. And to tell me what I did besides save his life."

"I don't want to talk about it," I try.

"Well, I do." He says quickly.

"Good for you." I shrug and turn away from him in my seat as much as possible.

"Jesus Christ," he huffs, his voice louder than before, "you are infuriating!"

I turn back to him as my anger rises to the surface. If he really wants to fucking talk about it, he isn't going to like the outcome.

"What do you want me to say?" I ask him, trying not to yell into the small space between us locked in the car. "Do you want me to make you feel better and less guilty and say that I don't blame you for him getting shot a foot from you? Well, I can't lie to your face like that. He was fine when I left to meet you guys. He was fine! And then I get there and he wasn't!"

"And that's on me?" Is all he replies, angering me more.

"Well, it's not on me. I did my job. I covered all your asses."

"Cat-"

I cut him off before he says another idiotic thing. "If it had been Anthony beside him, I would blame him too."