C H A P T E R 4 4

— • —

Chapter 44: Back To The Mortal Realm

"I was just gonna fulfill a promise......" Xin Yue glanced at the scenery he was seeing at the Fengxian Brothel with a scowl, "——But what the fuck is this, Liu Huangjin?! Whose child is that?! Why are you carrying him?!"

Liu Huangjin gently swayed as he carried the young boy in his arms, "It's mine." He answered with a blunt tone.

Xin Yue's jaw dropped as he stared at Liu Huangjin who was carrying his so-called child. What the..... He never told me about this!!! You kept a secret like this?! Oh, wait! Where is the mother?! Where's the bitch?! Could it be just a one-night stand?! Then the bitch handed her child to Liu Huangjin so that he could bear responsibility while the bitch fuck another man?! Whattttttt!!!!!!———Wait, I should stop overthinking.

Xin Yue gazed at the dazed infant resting in Liu Huangjin's arms. With large, gentle hazel eyes that were somewhat deeper in hue than Liu Huangjin's, the boy looked at Xin Yue and giggled softly. Liu Huangjin looked at Xin Yue while grinning sweetly and petting the child's smooth, fluffy cheeks. "He likes you."

Xin Yue arched his brows, "....Really?"

Xin Yue was never very good with kids. He was irritated by the children's bothersome conduct and the sound of crying babies when he worked at the daycare. He tried to care for them, but things kept getting worse until he was fired from the daycare center and had no other option than to hunt for work. He was always uneasy and awkward among kids. At times, he would compare himself to them because, at the time, he was also so innocent and naive. Such a blind spot for the outer world.

"Try holding him." Liu Huangjin went near him and carefully handed the baby to him.

"E-Err....." Xin Yue widened his arms with an awkward expression. Liu Huangjin tilted his head at him and spoke, "You don't know how to handle a child?"

Xin Yue scowled at him, "How would I know when I don't even have one?!"

Liu Huangjin nodded, "Okay, I'll teach you." He showed Xin Yue the proper handling of the baby while Xin Yue tried hard to understand how the hand was positioned, how the body was portrayed, and how the fingers held the child.

After a while, Liu Huangjin stared at Xin Yue who was holding the baby in his harm with a stiff expression, "What are you doing? My son will be uncomfortable with your stiff body. Try to be comfortable and look at his eyes."

"U-Uh...." With an uneasy look, Xin Yue turned to face the infant who was staring at him. The infant tried to touch Xin Yue's face, which was perspiring with anxiety after they had been staring at each other for some time. The baby giggled.

Liu Huangjin sat on the bamboo chair in front of the two and observed Xin Yue, "Ah-Yue, are you scared of children?——"

"NO! WHY WOULD I BE SCARED?!" Because of Xin Yue's loud voice, the baby was startled and started crying. "O-Oh shit! Huangjin, help me!" Xin Yue called out as he swayed and carefully held the baby in his arms.

With a sigh, Liu Huangjin closed his eyes. He returned his son to his arms and rocked him to sleep. Liu Huangjin returned to find Xin Yue seated at the bamboo chair, his face terrified and carefully lay the baby to sleep on the small, soft bed within his room.

"Ah-Yue." Liu Huangjin called out.

"Hmm?"

Liu Huangjin grabbed the recently boiled teapot and poured themselves a cup of tea, "Do you know why I asked you about the outside world back then?"