C H A P T E R 3 2

— • —

Chapter 32: Battle Arena, Part 3

The battle was still going on as the audience outside the arena looked on, delighted and amused. Mei Tengxui and Qian Lian's bodies were now covered in light scratches, and their loud pants could be heard throughout the arena. Qian Lian stood in dignified poise despite the stinging pain caused by Mei Tengxui's poison embedded in the blades of her daggers. "What? Are your skills rotten now that you don't use them often?!"

"N-no! I was——I..." Mei Tengxui cannot find the words to express herself. Finally, she just shut her mouth and stood far away from Qian Lian, her head bowed on the arena's marble floor.

Qian Lian laughed in disbelief, and her softened brows turned into a frown. "How foolish am I to teach you in the past? I should've ignored your request back then."

"Jiejie!" Mei Tengxui cut her off; her berry-colored eyes, which had been gentle and lovely, were now filled with sadness and grief. Qian Lian fixed her gaze on her, and the tight clench on her sword grip loosened slightly.

The gods looked around the arena, puzzled. After a while, no battle between the two was depicted on the rectangular glass, as if the two had stopped fighting each other, which piqued their interest even further, to the point where they began whispering to each other.

"What is happening? Why is there nothing portrayed on the rectangular glass?"

"Did the pearl watchers malfunction?"

"No way! The high priest would've been panicking right now if the pearl watchers were broken."

"Then why is there nothing?"

"We're hearing explosions at the arena, though. Maybe the two women had stopped fighting physically but instead used words?"

"Shhhh! Listen carefully!"

"What?" Qian Lian crossed her arms and stared at Mei Tengxui with a frown. "Why are you cutting me off? Is it because you're guilty again? Is it because you can't say anything again?"

"I......."

"What?!" Qian Lian snapped. She swung her sword in Mei Tengxui's direction, and Mei Tengxui immediately parried it with her dagger. "Say it! Why aren't you saying anything? Do you want me to look like a fool in front of everyone?!"

Mei Tengxui immediately shook her head with an anxious face. "N-No!"

"SAY IT!" Mei Tengxui was blasted away by Qian Liang's sword, and her back slammed into the large boulder behind her. Mei Tengxui closed her eyes tightly, bit her lip hard to endure the pain, and tried to stand up right away.

Qian Lian, on the other hand, pushed her back, forcing her to lean against the rock as she crouched down to face Mei Tengxui with a straight face. "You're enduring the pain again? You never change, Mei Tengxui. You disgust me."

"J-Jiejie....."

"What?" Qian Lian spoke with her brows arching; she slightly loosened the grip on her sword and fixed her eyes on Mei Tengxui's face. "Say it, or I'll force everything on you."