chapter forty-eight

"Why is Chan calling?" I groaned, pulling into Minho's long and winding driveway after the gate opened. "We just got back from that godawful trip."

Minho picked up the phone and put it on speaker, "Yeah, what's up?"

"Are you and Han back from that business trip yet?" Chan asked him, his tone filled with impatience and hostility. Yikes.

"We're quite literally pulling into the driveway right now, do you mind?" Minho asked.

"No, not at all. I have to talk to Han."

My face twisted in confusion and Minho cringed, "Why didn't you call him then?"

"I don't want to talk to him until I have to," Chan responded. I mouthed the words "Fuck him" to Minho and he grinned. "Hello? Fuck it, I'm just gonna come over."

"Sorry," Minho cleared his throat. "Han, Chan wants to talk to you."

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes.

"Just expect me in fifteen minutes, alright?" Chan said, then hanging up the phone.

I grimaced at Minho, "You should put a leash on him. He's just gonna come over here and blow smoke up my ass about the whole stalker thing. He's so convinced it's me, it's hilarious."

Minho unbuckled his seatbelt when I parked the car and he sighed, "I don't know why he's so insistent that it's you. It's not like he has proof, he's just going off a hunch. He's been weird about you since the beginning, I think he's just jealous that I spend so much time with you."

"Did you hear that he got kicked out of the group over it while we were gone?" I asked him.

"He took that theory of his to them? Dumbass.." Minho mumbled.

"I don't know what he expected," I shrugged.

"Yeah, me either," Minho huffed. "Let's get our shit inside before he gets here."

"Gotcha," I said to him before gathering my things and opening the trunk. I looked up and noticed that my tire pressure was low, "Hey, I need to fix this."

Minho looked over, "No, I've got it. Just worry about our stuff."

"It's okay, I can do it," I insisted.

Minho gave me a cold stare, "I've got it."

Weird.

"Okay, Mr. Grumpy Pants," I chuckled, getting out of the car and shutting the door behind me.

"Sorry, this Chan thing is getting on my nerves," Minho said as he got out of the passenger side. "I don't like that he's so accusatory. I wish I could just tell him that we're together but he'd flip his shit."

"Has he ever been like this with anyone else you've dated?" I asked him as I began pulling things out of the trunk and setting them down on the pavement.

"No, but yet again, I've never really dated anyone that seriously before," Minho then shook his head. "Fuck, he doesn't even know we're together. That just reminds me even more of how ridiculous he's being. I've never seen him like this before."

"Like you said, it's probably just jealousy. I refuse to overthink it until I know it matters," I said. I thought to myself for a moment when throwing Minho and I's shared toiletry bag over my shoulder and decided to ask, "Why is he so invested in you?"

Minho stopped what he was going with the tire pump and set it down, then leaning against my car, "It's not a story that I have enough time to share before he gets here but I can simplify it. I haven't wanted to have this conversation with you yet because it's so convoluted but I'll try to make it quick. Chan has viewed me like his little brother since day one. He took me under his wing and protected me like I was his own. He knows everything about me except for my inner dialogue, quite frankly. Lately, though, he hasn't known me. It's driven him nuts that I won't let him in anymore. He looks for every vulnerable place I'm in and tries to fix it for me. He tries to run my life and the more I push back, the harder he tries. The situation we're in now is unlike any other him and I have ever been in and there's a lot of things I've kept from him. He has missing context and he's filling the gaps with whatever his mind is telling him. I get that there's a small possibility I could be completely stupid and that he's right but he doesn't seem to understand that I don't care. I literally don't. You could be a serial killer and I'd still stay with you but he doesn't even know we're together in the first place. He's missing a lot of information and that's not even the biggest part. I made the mistake of portraying you to be someone you're not to him so he'd leave me to my own devices but it clearly backfired because now he's more suspicious than ever. It makes sense to me why he's so invested but I know it probably doesn't make much sense to anyone else. We have a weird bond. He was my ride or die before I met you I think he knows that how I feel about him has changed. I think he's under the impression that you've manipulated me to be against him but that's not the case. I've picked up on how he felt about you since day one, this all seems unprecedented but it's not. Chan's not stupid either. I want to tell him that we're together and that he needs to hop off your dick but I know he'd do something with that and hold it against you. He's not above that. Him and I have a lot more in common in terms of trauma than you're aware of and that contributes to how deep the weird bond is. I can't explain it well, but there."