chapter forty

"I think at this point I just have an aversion to people in general because no matter where I go people end up causing every issue that is present in every situation and Minho is no exception." Changbin said, rolling his eyes.

"I want you guys to remind me to never leave the house again," I groaned, grabbing fistfuls of my hair and yanking them in frustration.

Wait, did I just say house?

They won't notice.

"I can't believe we're in here giving up our lunch breaks over this shit," Seungmin scowled, curling his upper lip. "Thanks again for helping, Han. You're a lifesaver."

"I mean, I'm going to bitch and complain the whole time but I really don't mind. Minho's been on my ass as it is, you think I'd rather be taking orders from him right now? Get real," I said to the two of them. Having to pretend like your boyfriend and your boss aren't the same person is very easy when he's a sweetheart at home and a hardass at work. There's absolutely nothing in common between the two of them. That, and I'm pretending like this assignment is difficult so they don't feel embarrassed.

"I'm surprised he hasn't come to retrieve you to wipe his ass," Changbin joked with a grimace. "He's a chill guy when we're hanging out as a group but God, as a boss? I want curb-stomp his ass."

"None of the Anaïs users like this new update, anyway. I don't know why he's pushing us so hard to make it work when it doesn't. It just fucking doesn't!" Seungmin exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air, then standing up out of his chair. "I need to go scream. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the supply closet on this floor."

Changbin stood up, "I'm coming with."

I stood up out of my chair and followed them out of their office, "Where are we going?"

"The scream room, you haven't found it yet? There's one on every floor," Seungmin asked me as we walked.

"No, I kind of rely on you guys to tell me the ins and outs of this place," I said to the both of them.

"I guess it's just so commonplace that nobody thought to tell you," Changbin shrugged.

"Does Minho know about it?" I asked them, Seungmin and Changbin stopping dead in their tracks and then pulling me to the side. "What?"

"No, and he can't know otherwise he's going to think all of us are miserable," Changbin said, his voice dropping in volume and pitch.

"Aren't we all miserable?" I asked quietly.

I most certainly am not.

"Yes, but why would we want him to know that?" Seungmin whispered.

"Shouldn't you tell him that so he can make the workplace better for all of us?" I asked, narrowing my brows.

"Minho doesn't take criticism, Han. He wants this place to be perfect. I know you're his bitch and all but you can't tell him what we're about to do," Seungmin whispered to me with a particular hint of indignation in his tone.

Excuse me?

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. I won't tell him."

The truth here is that I've wasted half my lunch break on helping the two of them with the easiest assignment they could've possibly been given and being the smartest person in the room isn't always a blessing. His privilege reeks. There are people out there who would kill for his job, including me last year. I would've applied for it myself had it not been filled.

He's right when he said the update sucks, though. Sorry babe.

We reached the supply closet and filed in one by one, Seungmin then shutting and locking the door behind him. He turned to face the two of us, "On the count of three."