chapter eight

"Those flowers on your desk are pretty," Mr. Lee said, breaking the silence.

"Really? Thanks. Did you remember to pack everything you need?" I said, giving him my best attempt at small talk.

"So long as I brought my meds and my retainer, I'm okay," He joked, ruffling a hand through his brunette locks.

"Hey, I wear my retainer to bed too!" I exclaimed excitedly, putting a hand up for a high five. Mr. Lee ignored me and turned his head to look out the window. "Are you upset with me or something? You've barely spoken to me this past week."

"I'm fine," Mr. Lee said, completely expressionless and emotionless.

"If there's something on your mind, I want you to tell me," I said, frowning. "I thought we were closer than that."

"You're my personal assistant, not my therapist," He snapped at me. "Don't overstep or you'll regret it."

"Oh no, you don't get to talk to me like that. I don't care if you're my superior or if you're my boss, I do not deserve this kind of disrespect. I did not graduate summa cum laude to be treated like this at work," I said, standing my ground. "You may get away with pushing your other employees around because you think you're smarter than them but I am not the one to be fucked with."

"Who got you those flowers?" He asked me, turning his head over to look at me.

"What?"

"You told me to tell you what's on my mind, so I did," He shrugged.

"Who's overstepping now?" I joked. "They're from a friend, so what?"

"Oh, sure," He scoffed. "Some friend."

"It's a friend with benefits," I rolled my eyes. "Are you happy? Was it worth it not talking to me for a week?"

Mr. Lee turned his head away from me and began to look out the window again, leaning his head back on the seat dramatically like he was in a music video.

"Are you jealous?" I asked him boldly.

"Why would I be jealous?" He curled his upper lip, not looking at me as he spoke.

"Look, I've never had someone care about me to go out of their way to buy me flowers. Let me enjoy this," I said, a slight but unintentional pout appearing on my lips.

"Bold of you to assume that nobody cares enough, especially if you're just fucking them."

"What, are you going to buy me flowers?" I chuckled, now looking out the window myself.

"I bought you a car," Mr. Lee said bluntly, seeming astounded by my question.

"Yeah, for work," I said, crossing my arms. "You didn't have to do that, you know."

"Well, I kind of need a personal assistant, you know," He said to me.

"Oh, so now you need me?" I scoffed. "Where was that energy when you barely spoke to me all week and had your secretary forward me your requests. Our offices are right next door."

"Yeah, I do, okay?" He snapped at me again. "I can't rely on myself to make sure I take care of myself and I can't manage my shit. My mind is all over the place all of the time and there's nothing I can do about it. By the time I figured out that I need therapy, I no longer had time for it. The only reason my dad wants anything to do with me is because I'm rich and he's broke. All everyone ever wants from me is my money and people assume that I have to be fine because I have it as if I don't have years of untreated trauma under my belt that'll last me a lifetime. It's not like I woke up one day and decided that I was going to become a billionaire, I never asked for this. I never asked for any of this, I just wanted to create something and share it with the world. You're one of the only people I've ever met that I not only relate to but doesn't want to use me for my money. You understand me better than anyone ever has before and saw me as an equal. You instantly took me in by opening your heart up to me and that scares me because nobody has ever done anything like that for me before. You didn't even know what I looked like and yet you were excited to work with me because you want to learn new skills, not because you want to make money. I don't exactly know how to be friends with people so I'm sorry if I took out the fact that I felt threatened on you. I was scared that you'd stop caring. I know how immature it is but I never learned."

"You want to be friends with me?" I asked him cheekily, a wide grin appearing on my face.

"Don't say it like that," He playfully shoved me, now smiling himself.

"I can teach you, you know," I said, grabbing his hand and holding it in mine. "I'll turn you into the best friend ever, okay?"

"Okay.." Mr. Lee said, a shy smile creeping onto his face.

a/n:
sorry for not updating babies!! i had a rough weekend so here's a double-update as an apology <3