chapter seventeen

"Hey.."

I turned around, "Took you long enough."

"You know how the traffic is here," Mr. Lee said as he approached me.

I nodded my head, "Yeah, I know."

"So..."

"So."

"I want you to come back to work," He said to me sorrowfully.

I laughed, "I don't."

"I know you don't-,"

I cut him off, "You have absolutely no idea the shit you've put me through."

"I know, I know-,"

"No, you don't. You really don't and I don't appreciate that you're pretending to."

Mr. Lee shook his head, "Fine, you're right. I'm sorry."

I laughed once more, "I think it's a bit late for that, don't you?"

"I was hoping it wouldn't be," He said to me, shivering from the cold.

"You have no idea how to function, do you?" I asked him. "I don't even know what I saw in you in the first place."

"Han-,"

I scoffed, "Oh, now you use my preferred name? That's funny."

"I'm trying here," He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"You didn't think to do that when you were tearing apart my self-esteem week by week?" I laughed at him. "You embarrassed me repeatedly and made me feel awful about myself because you didn't like that I moved on."

"I was jealous-,"

I cut him off, "Yeah, I know! That was the whole fucking point!"

Mr. Lee looked taken aback by this, "What?"

"It was Changbin's idea, not mine," I admitted.

"What was his idea?" He asked me, confused.

"Dating Hyunjin! I never had feelings for him, I just wanted to make you want me back!" I shouted at him.

"I am so sorry-,"

"No, you're not!" I yelled. "If you were sorry you wouldn't have done any of this! You lead me on and treated me like trash because, what? You were jealous? Fuck that. That's so unfair. You lead me on! Not the other way around!"

Mr. Lee stayed silent, looking down at his shoes. I scoffed, "God, you can't even look me in the eyes."

"No, I can't," He admitted to me. "I feel guilty."

"Good! You should!" I exclaimed. "You put me through Hell and back!"

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe I treated you the way you did because I liked you back?"

I laughed in his face, "No, it didn't. Want to know why? You do not treat the people that you love like that."

"I know that," He sighed.

"Do you? Because I feel like you're sitting here just expecting that at the end of this conversation, I'm going to just give in and come back like nothing ever happened?"

"That's what I was hoping," He said, looking up at me.

I laughed at him, "I quit."

"What?"

"I quit!" I exclaimed, turning around and beginning to walk down the hill away from him.

Mr. Lee followed me, "What do you mean, you quit? You can't quit!"

"Watch me!"