chapter thirty-nine

Holding my phone tightly to my chest, I flipped over on my back and turned my head to face Minho's, "I don't think I can do it."

"Yes, you can! Come on. We agreed that we'd do this two weeks ago," He said, patting my shoulder.

"I haven't talked to them in forever," I sighed. "Will they even let me visit?"

"Did they miss you when you left?" Minho asked me, beginning to play with my hair.

"I know they didn't want me to go but I don't know if they miss me, it's been so long," I said to him, then sitting up in my spot and unlocking my phone. "Okay, I think I can do it."

"I believe in you, alright?" Minho said, rubbing his hand on my shoulder. "You've got this."

I dialed in the number I had to contact my adoptive mother and as it rang, I felt my heart start to race faster than it had been before. When I heard the dial-tone end, I put my phone on speaker and sat it down on the bed across from me.

"Ibu? Adakah anda di sana?" (Mom? Are you there?)

I hate calling her that.

"Jisung? Is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me."

"I didn't think I'd ever get hear your voice again, it's been eight years! Hold on, let me get your dad. Sayang, datang sini! It's Jisung!" (Honey, come here!)

I heard quick footsteps, "Jisung, adalah bahawa anda?" (Jisung, is that you?)

"Ya, ini saya." (Yes, this is me.)

"Sayang, kami sangat merindui awak! Adakah anda berjaya ke United States?" My adoptive father asked me. (Baby, we've missed you so much! Did you make it to the US?)

"Yeah, I did. Saya di California." (I'm in California.)

"Ayah dan saya sangat bangga dengan awak. Adakah anda pergi ke M.I.T dengan cara yang anda mahukan? Awak buat apa? Adakah anda baik-baik saja?" (Dad and I are so proud of you. Did you go to M.I.T like you wanted? What have you been doing? Are you okay?)

That's all I needed to hear.

I felt myself begin to tear up, "I've missed you guys so much. But calm down, okay? I'm fine, I promise."

"Oh, thank God. I'm so relieved," My adoptive mother said to me. "So, where have you been? You have to tell us everything."

"Jisung, I've missed your voice so much," My adoptive father sniffled.

"We weren't even sure if you were alive anymore," My adoptive mother said. "I saw someone with your name in an article on Facebook and for a second I thought it was you but that man looked much different than you."

Minho put a hand over his mouth to stifle a laugh and I began to grin as I spoke, "That is me, silly."

"Walao! Adakah anda bergurau?" My adoptive mother exclaimed. (The first word is Malaysian slang for the expression of shock or surprise, then she asks if he's kidding.)

"Why would I lie about that?" I scoffed. "Look, I called to ask what you guys what you're doing next month."

"That's an odd question, pray tell?" My adoptive mother asked me.