prologue

Car accidents aren't anything like the movies. There's no slow-motion or explosions, no rewinding on the television to watch it happen again; just a cacophony of screeches from tires, metal scraping metal, and the shattering of glass.

"You asshole, you just hit my fucking car!" I heard the other driver scream as he quickly got out of his car to inspect the damage. I tried to re-start my car but when it stalled, I slammed my hands against the steering wheel in frustration before pulling out a piece of paper and writing down my name, phone number, and insurance company.

I'm going to be so late to this interview...

I hopped out of the driver seat paper-in-hand and as soon as I first laid eyes on the man I'd hit, I swear I fell in love. This man was absolutely beautiful. He looked to be of average stature with pale golden-brown hair and a suit on to boot. He had a Rolex on, drove a BMW 7-Series, and he was wearing a Gucci tie, too. How can someone be so perfect? That's not even fair.

When my soul finally returned to my body, I began to apologize repeatedly. This man was absolutely beautiful; I almost felt ashamed just being in his presence. He was the spitting image of perfection and I'd just rear-ended his luxury car on the day of my biggest job interview ever, go me! Yay!

Not.

Taking one look at the damage, I knew my car was completely done for. This piece of shit has been carrying me around since sophomore year of high school and now I'm out of college, it's a miracle I made it last this long.

The rage I'd seen in his eyes while he approached my car immediately dissipated when I got closer to him and I shoved the piece of paper I'd been holding in his hands as our eyes met for a moment, "Call a tow truck, reach out to my insurance, I don't care. I have to go."

I ran back over to my car and grabbed my satchel out of it before hastily dodging cars as I ran across the street and down the sidewalk. I could hear the perfect man calling out for me to come back but all I could do was run. I ran faster than I'd ever ran before and it was nearly exhilarating.

Anaïs, here I come.

Maybe I'll find you again someday.