chapter twelve

I stood up from the couch with Hyunjin and approached Seungmin from behind, grabbing his sides in an attempt to startle him.

Seungmin jumped forward, "Holy shit, you scared the fuck out of me."

"That was the point," I laughed. I rested my elbow on Hyunjin's shoulder and turned my head over to Mr. Lee, "Oh, hey Mr. Lee, I have someone I should probably introduce you to."

Mr. Lee burst into laughter, "Did you just call me 'Mr. Lee' outside of work? That's fucking hilarious."

"How's that high going for ya?" I asked him bluntly to throw him off.

"How do you know about that?" Chan asked me as he walked over to us.

"I hear things," I shrugged nonchalantly.

Mr. Lee put his arm around Chan and pointed a finger at me, "You know, he just called me 'Mr. Lee' outside of work, right?"

Chan burst into laughter, "That's the funniest thing I've heard all week."

Hyunjin wrapped his arms around my shoulders, "Isn't my Han just the sweetest? He's so respectful."

"Mr. Lee, this is Hyunjin, my boyfriend," I said, smiling smugly.

"Well that was fast, wasn't it? He looks like he's in a boy band with that hair," Mr. Lee laughed contemptuously. "I'm Minho."

Hyunjin let go of me put his hand out for Mr. Lee to shake, "Yeah, I was considering cutting it but I think Han likes it like this."

Oh, he's good.

I ruffled a hand through his hair, "Yeah, that's my baby. Always looking for ways to make me happy."

"They're kinda cute," Chan said to Seungmin with a small smile.

"Gross," Mr. Lee mumbled under his breath.

"Not even," Seungmin said, playing along with us.

"So, how long have you guys been together for?" Chan asked us.

"Like, two weeks, maybe?" I said, looking over at Hyunjin for validation.

This was a calculated response on my part, as two weeks ago, Mr. Lee and I were in Shenzhen. His head shot up from his feet upon hearing this, but he knew all too well that any further reaction would draw attention. Seungmin and I made eye contact and he pursed his lips, indicating to me that what I'd said in response struck a chord with Mr. Lee.

"Yeah, that sounds about right," Hyunjin said.

"Okay, I still can't stop thinking about how you call Minho by his last name, that shit is so funny," Chan said, beginning to laugh. "I'm sorry that's so random but it's been plaguing my mind and I just have to ask - why?"

"I get that you and Seungmin both know him personally but I don't," I said, this in turn causing Mr. Lee to frown with the corner of his mouth. This was a lie, though. I do know him personally, I know his darkest secret and he knows mine. "It's just a respect thing, I guess. Even if he's still my friend he was my boss first. It's the other way around for you guys, I'm sure."

Seungmin shrugged, "That makes sense."

"It's just funny to me because he's way less of a professional than you think," Chan said, laughing afterward.

"Trust me, I don't think he's that professional, this is just how I am," I said, subtly dragging him in the process.

"Can we talk for a second?" Mr. Lee asked me as he walked up to me with a stern look on his face.

"Yeah, sure," I said, following him as he dragged me out of Felix' apartment and down the hallway.

"What the fuck was that? Seriously? Two weeks?" He asked me, raising his voice.

"Han is not my friend," I said, mocking his tone and behavior from before.

"You heard that?"

"Yeah, fucking I did. You want to know what else I hear? The voice of a prick in my ear!" I exclaimed, not caring if any of Felix' neighbors heard us. "You really had to drag me out of there like that in front of all of my friends? That was so embarrassing for me."

"I'm not the one making a fool of myself throwing myself at my pretty boy boyfriend right in front of their fucking boss," Mr. Lee said to me.

"That's just how you see it because you're jealous," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, and why do you think that is, hm? Riddle me that," Mr. Lee said, crossing his arms.

I rolled my eyes once more, "How long have we known each other for now? A month and a half? Two months? Calm down."

"I can't calm down when I just had to listen to you say that you've been in a relationship for two weeks now and I'm expected to just not react like it's nothing? When was it, hm? Was it before or after we kissed in that hotel room?" Mr. Lee asked me.

"Allow me to remind you who's idea that was lest you scratch yourself with the claws of hypocrisy," I quipped.

"I don't have time for your witty comebacks, Jisung. I just want to know if I'm a homewrecker or not," Mr. Lee said.

"I doubt that it would be the first time, knowing you," I whispered under my breath.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you're a beguiler, Mr. Lee. You lead people on and you get off on fucking with people's feelings. You can't commit to a single relationship and you act like you know it's a problem but you want to know what I think? I think you enjoy it. I think that you like the power it gives you. You thrive off of leaving people high and dry and I fucking hate that. You know, I couldn't read you at first but I think I've got you figured out now. You're an insecure, jealous, narcissistic asshole with absolutely no respect for the people around you."

Without warning, Mr. Lee pulled me in by the waist to kiss him and against my better judgment, I kissed him back. My body and mine were at a disconnect but I couldn't help but want more from him. He's like a drug and I can't get enough.

Regaining my self-respect, I pushed him away from me, "What the hell was that?"

"I've never had anyone put me in my place like that before," He said to me, pulling me closer to him again by the hand.

I shrugged his hand away and stepped back, "I don't know what manipulative shit you're trying to pull right now but I'm not going to fall for it. Have fun with our friends, I'm leaving. Bye."