chapter two

"You will not believe what I'm doing right now," I said, readjusting my bag over my shoulder as I walked.

"It's barely 9am, why are you calling me so early?" Felix groaned.

"You didn't call me back yesterday like I asked you to," I said, entering the revolving front doors of Anaïs with my phone pressed between my tilted head and my shoulder. "I would've told you then."

"Yeah, sorry about that, I was at my Mom's house all day and she hates when I'm on my phone," Felix sighed. "And before you say anything, yes, I know I'm a grown ass man."

I laughed and grabbed my phone to hold to my ear, "Someone's a momma's boy."

"Well, you know what Freud says," Felix joked.

"That's so gross," I laughed. I approached the elevators and waited for one to open impatiently. "Ugh, none of these elevators are opening, I'm annoyed."

"Wait, where are you?" Felix asked.

"Oh, that's what I was going to tell you yesterday," I said. "I got the job and today's my first day."

"You got the job?" Felix asked me excitedly. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thank you!" I exclaimed. "I still haven't fully processed it."

"So, wait, he just hired you on the spot? Just like that?" Felix asked me confusedly. "Wasn't the spot super competitive?"

"Yeah, it was. I heard rumors that he had hundreds of thousands of applicants but I'm not sure how accurate that is," I said. As soon as the third elevator opened, I sighed in relief. "One of the elevators just opened, thank God."

"I highly doubt that's a rumor, that just sounds accurate," Felix chuckled. "Anaïs is huge."

"Well, it is the second-biggest social media site out there right now," I said. As soon as the elevator was cleared, I stepped inside and took a deep breath. "Dude, I'm nervous."

"Don't be nervous, you got the job already. It's only up from here," Felix said. "I need to go back to sleep but after work, do you want to get drinks?"

"Yeah, duh," I laughed. "Do you mind if I invite a few new work friends? I met them yesterday and they're really nice, I think you'd vibe well with them, too. Ooo, and invite Hyunjin and Jeongin too. They know how to party."

"Sounds like a plan, bye Squirrely," Felix said before kissing his phone microphone and hanging up.

I leaned against the wall of the elevator as I ascended, staring up at the mirrored ceiling. When I reached the twenty-fifth floor, I stepped out of the elevator and headed in the direction that Seungmin had shown me yesterday.

As soon as I made it to Mr. Lee's office, I took a deep breath and knocked on the door, "Hey, it's me."

"Come in!" Mr. Lee called out to me.

I opened the door slowly and waved at him politely when he looked up at me, "Do you want me to shut this?"

"You clean up nicely," Mr. Lee said, chuckling sardonically. "Come, let's chat."

I walked over to the seat he still had placed in front of his desk and sat down apprehensively, "Hi, how are you?"

"Oh, I'm fine," Mr. Lee said, shutting the binder he had open on his desk. "How was the ride here? I hope you know that was just for today, I'll be giving you a company car to work with and use on your own personal time. That last part is just between you and I, though. I feel bad about calling you an asshole when you were just rushing to get to my interview."