chapter nine

"What do you mean you accidentally booked us a hotel room with one bed?" Mr. Lee said, throwing his hands up in frustration.

"It was an accident!" I exclaimed, beginning to pace around the room.

"I asked you to book two hotel rooms!" Mr. Lee raised his voice at me, "The least you could've done was "accidentally" book us in the room with two separate beds."

"Why are you putting it in air quotes like I did this on purpose?" I asked him, crossing my arms.

"I overheard what you and Seungmin were saying in your office before I knocked on the door," Mr. Lee sighed.

"That was a joke," I laughed, completely lying to his face. "The door was shut for a reason, you clearly weren't supposed to hear it and I'm not going to apologize because you were eavesdropping."

"Yeah, sure," He scoffed. "I could fire you right now, you know."

"You drunkenly felt my abs up the second night we met in a club, I could've quit right then, you know," I said, mocking him slightly. "Don't be a hypocrite, we all say or do stupid shit when we think no one's watching."

"Okay, I'm sorry, you're right. It was an accident. I can't imagine that you'd do something like this on purpose," Mr. Lee said, taking a deep breath. "It's okay, we can work this out. I'll just sleep on the floor or something."

"Yeah, whatever," I said, sitting down on the bed in the middle of the room.

Mr. Lee's expression changed as he leaned against a dresser placed in the hotel room, "So, you really want to quote unquote suck the soul out of my dick?"

I threw a pillow from the bed at him and he dodged it, "That was a joke."

"It surely didn't sound like one from the way you worded it," Mr. Lee scoffed, putting a hand over his mouth to hide his smile.

I confidently placed my hands behind my back and leaned against them on the bed, "What, like you wouldn't let me?"

Mr. Lee shrugged cheekily, "Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't. You'll never know."

"Are you flirting with me, Mr. Lee?"

"In the spirit of sharing the same bed, yes," He joked, sitting on the edge of the bed next to me. "You know, I appreciate the fact that you didn't tell Seungmin about what we talked about,"

"I would never do that," I said, shaking my head. "I've never told anyone what I told you that night."

"Can I ask why that is?"

"Getting personal now, are we?" I joked, a slight blush appearing on my face from nervousness.

"I'm being serious," He said, knocking his shoulder into mine.

I took a deep breath and began to speak, "I went voluntarily nonverbal after what happened to my family. I wrote down a testimony and a victim impact statement for the trial against the two men but I didn't speak, I couldn't. I didn't want to unless my family was there with me to hear my voice. The only time I did ever speak for the longest time was when I did this stupid thing where I'd basically pray and instead of talking to God, I'd just talk to my family instead. Nowadays I call it 'free therapy' but the mental health professionals in my life at the time definitely would've begged to differ."

"That's not stupid, that's beautiful," Mr. Lee said, putting a hand on my knee.

"I started speaking a few years after it happened. One day in middle school, I went a little too hard playing dodgeball and I accidentally called a kid on the other side a "fucking asshole." Good news is, I didn't get in any trouble because the school was so happy that I was speaking," I chuckled.