The few we once called friends.

Start from the beginning

Kouda and Ojiro weren't much different than the others, both holding back as they stared at him with shock and betrayal, as they made no attempts to get anywhere closer towards him; although, Midoriya could see the tinge of sadness in Ojiros expression.

It only took him a second to remember that Aizawa had told him that the rest of the class had been told Hagakure had dropped out of her free will, and not because she was a traitor to the school.

It wouldn't surprise him if the few people who knew of his identity didn't start coming up with their own theories as to why he had been allowed back into the school so freely, wondering what kinds of dodgy deals or lies he must have told to bribe his way back in. It wouldn't take them long to speculate that he could have been the traitor all along instead.

None of it was true, of course, but they didn't know that. None of them had a clue...

The last person Izuku made eye contact with was Iida, who was busying himself away at the edge of the kitchen, trying to stay out of his line of sight. Izuku felt his stomach twist uncomfortably as they made momentary eye contact, his friend grimacing silently before looking away from him, not bothering to give him the dirty looks the others had given him.

Izuku had expected something worse, he had expected him to say something crude, for him to send him distrustful glares or to scamper away in fear much like Mineta had done.

It hurt to know one of the few close friends he had made during his time at UA wanted nothing to do with him anymore, reminding him of the horrible days which followed after his quirklessness diagnosis and in some way, Iidas distant reaction made him feel so much worse.

"Deku, are you alright?"

Izuku jumped slightly as he looked back towards Ochako who was looking at him with worry, her curiosity getting the best of her as she followed his line of sight and let out an understanding "ooh..."

The rest of the class seemed to have wandered off by now, going back to preparing for their movie night and offering him offhanded invitations to join them, with only Shouto standing by his side still when Izuku replied to her.

"I'm fine, Uraraka, it's alright." Izuku began, lowering his head so none of his oblivious classmates would overhear them, "I- I don't blame them for acting that way."

Uraraka shifted slightly as his expression tightened, the pair now looking face to face as she rebuked his statement, "But it's not your fault- you shouldn't have to put up with that!"

Izuku grimaced.

"They don't know what happened, Uraraka." He began, shaking his head slightly, "They have every right to be afraid after what they saw and knowing who I am.."

Not everyone was as kind and as understanding as Uraraka and Todoroki had been to him, evident by the masses of people who had been working on his case and still fort against his freedom, even after they had all heard the truth spilling from his mouth.

Even after all this time, Izuku was still surprised at the kindness and care the staff at UA were showing him, and the lengths they had gone to ensure his safety. This included the acceptance Uraraka and Todoroki had shown him, even though they had both been furious and utterly disgusted with him before he had poured his heart out to them and showed them his weakest points.

Izuku wouldn't be surprised if both of them had been terrified of him, even after he had managed to explain himself he knew the looks of doubt and distrust they must send behind his back.

It's natural to be scared, and hate the things you don't understand, after all...

Uraraka watched him silently before sighing and offering him a weak smile, nodding solemnly as she pulled away from their close proximity. She stood back and scratched her arm as she looked over to Iida when Izuku overheard her let out a sharp gasp, her nail catching on a massive scar on her arm, which had gone hidden out of sight by her sleeve until she had brought attention to it.