Chapter 89: SCP-2317

Three Months Ago

Rosenberg was summoned by the O5 Council, which was considered an unspoken and unknown honour among the general Foundation personnel.

She found herself in a dark room, standing in the illuminated centre. She didn't see anyone else with her, however she knew that the members of the council was watching her every move.

She looked up and she was surrounded by thirteen monitors, one for each council member. The screens displayed the council's designation numbers, from 'O5-1' to 'O5-13', and the text saying 'SOUND ONLY'. All of the displayed text are coloured red.

"Doctor Maya Rosenberg, correct?" O5-1 asked.

"Yes, that's my name, sir..." Rosenberg nodded. "I was allegedly summoned here?"

"Yes, we have summoned you here." O5-5 answered.

"We have been monitoring your work here in the Foundation, and it's safe to say we are impressed." O5-6 added. "You are one of a select few to do so..."

"Oh, I wasn't aware of this, but thank you..." the researcher answered.

"No need to be so modest, doctor..." O5-2 spoke up. "You really have earned such an honour, for your undying loyalty to the Foundation and its research."

"Right, it is only fair if we congratulate you personally..." O5-8 added. "After all, you finally have this moment to know all of us present."

"It would appear so, yes..." the researcher answered. "Thank you for this honour to meet all of your acquaintances..."

"The pleasure's all ours, Rosenberg... however we have something far more urgent to discuss." O5-7 spoke up. "Something of upmost importance."

"Okay, and what would that be?"

"I'm sure you're aware of SCP-2317, yes?" O5-5 asked.

"SCP-2317..." the researcher muttered, then spoke up. "Oh, yes, the seemingly ancient wooden door. Yes, I'm familiar."

"And what is believed to be on the other side of those doors, Rosenberg?" O5-5 asked again, testing her knowledge of the SCP.

"Behind those doors lead to an alternate reality, such that it's unlike anything we can ever fathom." the researcher responded. "A colossal being, a former Elder God, the Scarlet King..."

"Very good..." O5-5 commented. "Your knowledge is very commendable, Rosenberg."

"Thank you, sir, though I have to ask..." the researcher asked. "The Scarlet King, how is it actually contained at this moment?"

"He is bound by seven chains, tied to seven pillars..." O5-7 answered. "However, these chains would slowly wear off of him, and eventually, he will be freed from his bonds."

"But... what about the rituals that are in the files?" the researcher inquired. "Wouldn't those rituals be of any effect?"

"About that, Rosenberg..." O5-4 spoke up, tone of voice sounding uneasy.

"The... the rituals are effective, right?" the researchers repeated her question.

"Rosenberg, we have called you here to relay highly confidential information about the Scarlet King." O5-1 spoke up. "The information we are about to give you will be kept a secret, with every detail remaining in this room and this room alone. Do we have an understanding?"

"I... I guess..." the researcher nodded.

"Good."

"Those... rituals we put in place, all of them are a form of fraudulence..." O5-2 answered. "All of them were designed to keep the general population become content, thinking that the rituals actually meant something..."