Chapter 57: Spooky scary piece of shit-

"Hmm? A test of courage?" I ask Mina who had taken up the station beside me as I picked up a knife to begin butchering the hunk of beef we were given.

"Ryo, you need to work on your listening skills..." Mina sighed as she leaned against the table with her arms crossed, clearly not about to do any work like the lazy shit she is. "But you like scary things right? This should be fun for you," she grinned while I shrugged and dumped the chuck onto my table.

"Sucks that the people who failed mid years can't come though," Mina let out an exasperated sigh.

"Yeah," I chuckle, sliding my blade between the meat and the tendons to remove the off-cuts. "Would have loved to see you scared out of your wits," I elbow her which ellicits a glare from the alien Queen.

"Yeah right," she rolls her eyes as she hops to her feet.

"Damn, those are some knife skills," Denki piped up as he passed by us, bucket of unprepped veggies in his hands. "Where'd you learn to do that?"

I look down at my board, realising I'd cleaned up the huge chunk of meat basically on autopilot.

"I don't... know..." I paused before hacking the large chuck into smaller pieces.
________

"Hey birb boy," I grin as I walk up to my partner for the test of courage.

He gave me a look before nodding, somehow even more quiet than usual.

"Anything on your mind?" I question, rubbing my arms as I yawn. "You seem tense."

He looks at me silently before giving a solemn nod.

He looks off into the distance mysteriously.

-

-

"Darkness feeds shadows."

-

-

-

'...emo boys...'

-

-

-

As we were ushered into the forest we encountered a few, rather poor, attempts at spooking us from the 1B students.

Some popped up from holes in the ground while some just jumped from behind large trees, your standard fare.

But then I heard a voice.

Not a 'ooga booga I'm here to spook off your booba' kind of voice but more of a...

"Students beware! Villains are attacking the camp! You are all to report back to base camp asap! This is not a drill."

I stop in my footsteps and share a look with Tokoyami.

"That was Mandalay's quirk wasn't it?" I mutter to which he gives a firm nod.

"We should-"

I step on something.

-

It's squishy.

-
"Hey Tokoyami...? What team was in front of us...?"

He looks at me quizically.

-

"Midoriya and Shoji."

I look down as I shift my foot, prompting the bird boy to do the same.

-

A severed arm, blood gushing from the upper bicep where it had been cleanly split from it's body.