Chapter 44: in the eye of the hurricane there is QUIEEEET

"C'mon Ryo, you can do better than that!" He shouted as my attack from above on resulted in him roundhouse kicking me into a wall.

I choked out a cough, my newly healed rib creaking uncomfortably.

I glared at him as he stepped towards my slumped body. I pressed my fingertips against the concrete floor and made it rise, a wave going straight at Hawks.

He yelped and hopped up, out of the way and I made a sprint for it.

'FUCK-'

I panted as I ran down long alleys and round tight corners.

'I FUCKING HATE CARDIO-!'

The sun was starting to set but the glowing hood and heels of my hero costume illuminated the area around me.

I skated around another turn and was now just a few metres from the exit.

But then I caught a glimpse of something in the corner of my eye and I immediately ducked, avoiding a kick from Hawks just in time.

He held two inner feathers in his hands like daggers.

Yet the most concerning thing...

-

-

-

His back was devoid of feathers.
__________

"That-!" Aizawa gasped, leading to the class turning to look at him.

He quickly straightened up and coughed, indicating for the students to look away.

He looked back at the screen and the two currently engaged in a staredown.

'The pros are supposed to hold back...' He frowned. "This reckless..."
___________

I blocked his slash with my forearm and ducked right, sweeping my leg backwards to trip him but he leaps up.

I jump back just as he lands right where my leg once was with a loud thud.

'he-!'

I flinched back, nearly falling onto my ass.

'THAT WOULD HAVE BROKEN MY LEG-!'

I grab the sand underneath me and throw it at him, using increased air pressure to make the granules travel faster.

It works, causing small cuts on his face and costume despite him blocking.

I take the chance to leap to my feet and run for the exit.

I increase the air pressure behind me and lift myself off the ground.

I was using way too much of my quirk but that didn't matter right now.

I needed to go faster.

Fast enough to beat the fastest hero.

Fast enough to-

-

-

-

I fall forwards, tumbling to a screeching halt just metres away from the exit.

It causes me to bite my cheek, the taste of iron filling my mouth.

Hawks lands on me, slamming the air out of my lungs.

He digs his heel into my back, causing me to feel breathless as he leans in.

He rested a feather against my neck.

It wasn't as sharp as his outer guard feathers but it could still do some damage.

"I expected better Ryo..."

He whispered and I snarled under my breath.

I wasn't about to lose.

Not here.

Not to him.

"Fuck it..."

-

-

-

I made the floor swallow me up, making him fall forward.

Then I quickly shot myself up a few paces behind him.

As he fell, he instinctively gathered his feathers back to let him hover and steady himself.

Something I was counting on.

I gripped onto his feathers and melted them.

Keratin wasn't exactly something I was used to manipulating but thanks to all the dead feathers Hawks left around, I'd had plenty of test subjects.

He jumped back but it was too late, basically all his feathers were sloughing off his back in a red sludge.

I wiped the blood from my mouth.

My hair had long since come loose from it's hairtie but right now, all I could see was Hawks.

I quickly closed the distance between us, swinging a right hook which he manages to block but his defenses aren't strong enough, still allowing me to clock him in the jaw.

I couldn't outmatch him in speed.

But maybe in power.

I took a page out of Bakugou's book and snapped my fingers, sending a blast of air pressure that propelled me upwards. The i repeated this to slam me and my kick back down onto Hawks.

He rolled away in time but I still managed to clip the edge of his jacket.

I slammed my palms against the sand, sending a wall of liquified sand in his direction.

My skin now felt so hot it felt like it was burning but the adrenaline flooding my veins blocked any sense I had.

I use air pressure to shoot me upwards and dive at Hawks, now right where I wanted him after he dodged the previous attack.

I managed to grapple his jacket, causing it to shrink, condensing it which trapped him for a second, long enough for me to knee him in the stomach.

He grabbed my pant leg and wrapped his foot around my knee, sweeping me to ground.

I gasp but grab onto his jacket and pin him.

My hands reach the floor and I liquify it, making it swallow Hawks up.

"W-wait! Stop, you're overheating-!" Hawks warned as my forearm brushed against his ear.

But I couldn't hear him.

"I forfit! I forfit-! Just stop-!" He yelled but I just grit my teeth and continued until only his head remained above the ground.

I stumbled towards the exit.

'I'm... Almost-'

-

-

-

'eh...? I'm on...the floor...?'

-

-

-

I reach my hand out towards the gate.

-

-

I was so close.

-

-

I dragged myself to the exit.

-

Just as I got one hand out...

-

-

-

It went black.