✦ picky

kenzie point of view ☹️

I was a picky eater.

I knew that, the boy sitting next to me knew that and everyone who knew me well knew that. Seating at the table, I couldn't help but scan the food placed on the table. It looked delicious. The chicken looked great and  the dishes were mouth-watering. Despite my mouth falling open from the view, most of the food on the table were foods I did not like.

However, the look on Meredith's face made me gulp. The dinner with Johnny's family was long-awaited and I knew his family members were earnest to meet me — especially his mother. But I think he forgot to mention that I rarely ate food others liked.

Even if it was just chicken. If it wasn't cooked right, I wouldn't have eaten it. I despised eggs even more but I wore a huge smile while his mother placed scrambled eggs on my plate.

I was dreadfully picky. I knew that well so instead of telling everyone that I didn't enjoy most foods I lied. I didn't want to be a burden to people whenever they cooked food so I just mumbled execuses.

"I'm not hungry,"

"I just ate don't worry about it,"

"I don't eat at night,"

It wasn't true. I was probably starving whenever I said those words but I didn't want to bother the person because of my own food issues.

"The food looks amazing!" I complimented, giving her a small smile. Her face brightened happily as she sat beside me and nodded thankfully.

Johnny noticed her face and I felt him relax lightly. He had been nervous about this dinner but so was I. I quickly looked at him from the corner of my eye, placing a hand on top of his, which were grasping his thigh, and rubbed it softly.

"Relax," I mouthed. His lips cracked into a small, lopsided grin and he nodded slightly. I smiled ag his reaction and pulled my hand back to eat the food.

I hated eggs. Especially moist.

John, being the eggcelent egg expert, shook his head every time I mentioned him. The boy was in love with them and I knew, me not liking eggs made him upset

So at times I forced it down my throat. Unfortunately, Johnny knew everything about me. He rolled his eyes at me when I stole a piece of his egg a week ago.

"Why are you eating eggs when you hate them?" he questioned.

"Who said I hate eggs?" I asked him back and he let out an amused chuckle. He pulled the fork back into his hands and shook his head.

"Baby, I know you like the back of my hand. Stop forcing things down your throat. If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's just eggs, I'll get over it,"

I sighed and sat beside him.

I grinned at Mer while eating, constantly reminding her how good her food was. I ate eggs some chicken and basically nothing else. I played with the food on my plate because she had put way too much egg.

Johnny had been eying me suspiciously. His hand would arrive at my thigh, he would squeeze lightly and then pull away. I loved his family, I loved the food but I was just a picky eater.

We finished dinner in less than an hour. Johnny had saved me by spooning the leftover egg from my plate and eating it. My lips broke into a smile as I thanked him silently with my eyes. He let out an amused chuckle just for me to hear.

Meredith looked extremely happy. She was amazing. We had a great conversatio, Johnny constantly groaning when she embarrassed him.

As we were about to leave, Johnny wrapped his arm around my waist, walking us towards the door. I thanked Mer once again before we left the house.

"Sooo," I began and he chuckled again. The same amused chuckle.

He didn't respond to me instead motioning for me to enter the car. He followed me and got into the drivers seat.

"McDonalds okay?" he asked, after starting the car. I snapped my head to the side and raised my eyebrows.

"What?"

"You didn't eat," He said, amusement sparkling in his eyes as he stared at me, "You don't like egg and the chicken was not cooked fully. You despise beans as well and the food was filled with them,"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said, looking away from him. He snorted at my comment and reached to hold my chin in his hands. He turned my face toward him and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

"What do you want from McDonalds?" he asked.

"Nothing...I'm full,"

"Right, I'll get your usual," He said as he began to drive. I knew where he was going.

"Johnny," I groaned.

"I'm not letting you sleep on an empty stomach. You didn't have lunch either because you were so excited for this meal,"

"The cooking was great," I mumbled, "I just don't like most food,"

He snorted again at my comment, nodding and slipping into the drive thru. He ordered my usual, which he knew since I only ate one thing every time we ate McDonalds.

He accepted the food from the person and passed it to me with a grin.

"Here's your food,"

"Thanks," I mumbled,taking it from him. I was hungrier than ever . He didn't need to know that.

I ate in silence but I noticed Johnny staring at me from time to time. I couldn't take the silence.

"I'm sorry," I blurt out and he looked at me, confused.

"For what?"

"I know how much your mum prepared for dinner. You were so excited for it...I was being picky. I'm sorry. I should have just ate the food. I'm sorry J. I'm so-,"

"Shut up," he groaned and shook his head, "Baby, you don't have to be sorry for not liking something. My mother won't judge you off what you eat nor will I. If you don't like something, it's alright. We'll get you other food. It's just food. Stop worrying about it. You aren't bothering anyone by saying you don't eat something okay?"

I groaned mockingly and he looked at me, "okay?"

"Fine, I'm sorry though...and thanks,"

"For what?" he asked again, frowning at my apology.

"For taking the food of my plate. I despise eggs," I said with a smile.

"I know,"

adios amigos

PLS