- 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 26 -

- Roxanne's POV -

We run outside and see a whole bunch of guards and cars waiting for us to leave the house. One of the guards quickly opens the car door for us to get in. Once we got in we started to drive away fast.

In a matter of seconds, I look back and see the house blow up into flames. I look over at Mattheo to see him drive furiously in thought. He didn't even bother to look back. That house had a lot of memories but maybe to him, it meant nothing.

"Why are you looking at me," He asks glancing over at me. I turn my face away from him in embarrassment. I feel my cheeks flush, God am I blushing. I put some of my hair behind my ear looking out the window.

"I didn't say you had to stop," He said with a small smirk. I look over at him and smile slightly. The car goes silent for a few minutes.

"I brought you back to New York for you and your family's safety, and I know I'm not exactly doing such a good job at it but I promise you ill keep you safe no matter what," Mattheo said. Not going to lie that was pretty random of him to say especially at this time but I was going to ask him today anyway.

"I believe you, but kidnapping me and threatening my family 'to safety wasn't the way to do it," I say and it was the truth I thought the man lost his mind after I last saw him.

"True, but you wouldnt have actually come with me if I told you to anyways," He says. Why would he think that?

"Why would you say that?" I ask.

"Because you and I weren't in such a good place, at the time. Especially when you picked Lucas over me" Mattheo said. Oh, here we go.

"Mattheo, I didn't pick anyone over anyone," I say looking at him.

"Well, it sure as hell looked and felt like it. When you said it was goodbye and told me you were going to start things with him, Roxanne it...it-" He said looking at me at the end. Hurt? was the word he was looking for. I could have sworn I could see the pain in his eyes as his eyes softened.

Before either of us could even reply or say something back Mattheo's phone started ringing. He picked up and answered.

"Hello?"

"Boss where should we head to?"

"To my house, I need to handle this problem on my own"

"Understood, see you their boss"

I could barely get any words out of the call. Mattheo hung up the phone putting one hand on the stirring wheel and the other on the five-speed making us go faster.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"My house," He says looking over at me up and down and then back on the road. I didn't know he had a house? I guess many things have changed around here.

When we got to the house, Mattheo opened the car door for me. I followed behind Mattheo as we walked inside the house. It was beautiful, modern, and aesthetic which I loved. The living room was full of big ceiling to floor windows leading outside to the pool and backyard.

"Make yourself at home, I'll be at my office if you need anything," Mattheo said before talking of his suit and throwing it onto the couch, and turning on his heels.

"Mattheo-" I say quietly enough for him to hear me. He turns around to face me. I wanted to talk to him but I knew he was busy. Especially with his brother now becoming his enemy.

"Hmm?" He says waiting for me to speak.

"Do you think we can talk later?" I ask playing with my fingers nervously. I don't know why I get so nervous when I'm around him, its never happened to me before with any guy.

"Of course," He says with a smile before walking away towards a door, which I assumed was his office.

There really wasn't anything for me to do. It was late but it was already dark out. The view outside from the living room was absolutely beautiful. The lights in the pool making it reflect onto the windows.

I was starting to get pretty tired, I started to get comfortable on the couch and let my exhaust take over as my eyes started to close and I drifted off to sleep.

Halfway asleep, I could feel myself being picked up bridal style. I didn't open my eyes knowing it was Mattheo by the smell of ocean-oak wood colon. I wrapped my arms around his neck for support.

The next thing I know I was somewhere much more comfortable than the hard couch. After that, I fully drifted asleep.

The next day I woke up in bed I looked around the room for Mattheo but he wasn't there. It seemed to look like it was Mattheo's room explaining all the black decorations. I rub my eyes and get out of bed. I stretch letting out a groan.

Once again this house had amazing views Mattheo's room also had ceiling to floor windows. Thank god this was a private territory with no neighbor for miles.

After I showered, I wrapped myself in a towel and brushed my teeth. I walk into Mattheo's walking closet. Almost all his clothes were black but I managed to find a white hoodie. It's not that I didn't like black because it was one of my favorite colors.

Picking out some new boxers he had in a drawer I slid that on with the white hoodie. I also picked out some gray sweatpants to go with it. I let my thick black hair down from the bun it was brushing it out with my fingers on the way downstairs.

When I got downstairs I saw Mattheo talking on the phone while walking back and forth in the living room. He didn't seem so pleased with whoever he was talking to. I try not to make any noise but he looks up at me and notices me quickly and hangs up the phone.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt" I apologize embarrassed.

"You didn't, you actually stopped me from doing something I'd regret after," he says looking me up and down. I guess he noticed I'm wearing his stuff but he doesn't say anything about it, guess it doesn't bother him.

"You hungry?" He asks changing the topic walking towards the kitchen.

"Definitely!" I say taking a seat on a kitchen stool facing the kitchen. Mattheo chuckles.

"I wanted to thank you for taking me to bed last night, I was really tired and I let myself take over," I say rubbing my temples.

"I'm the one who should be apologizing, I left you waiting for a long time." He says looking at me while he took out some things he needed from the fridge.

"Are you going to cook?" I ask in a little too surprised tone.

"Yes, I know how to cook. I would do it for often it wasn't so busy" He says while grabbing a bowl and cracking some eggs.

"Wow, I'm impressed Mr.Anderson," I say in an impressed tone. He looks over at me with a brow raised and I smirk before grabbing a grape from the fruit bowl in front of me and putting it in my mouth.

"You'd be impressed at the many things I can do" He smirks Looking at me. I swear I almost choked on my grape but I didn't.

After we ate the delicious food Mattheo made, he told me he had to go to the base and do a few things and asked if I wanted to come with him. And of course, I said yes, what else was I supposed to do in this house.

And no I didn't forget that I needed to talk to him. I was going to do it today. I needed to know where the hell my family was and the real reason why he "kidnapped me" despise all the feelings and past we have together, I have a life and a Mafia to handle. And it wasn't up to him to make the decision for me.