- 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 24 -

- Mattheo's POV -

They were gone, Roxanne and her family were all back in Italy. After they left a few months ago, all that was left was to take care of my family. And by family, I meant to find Taylor and give him over to the Russians. Taylor was my responsibility to take care of.

The last information we got from him was that he was staying at one of our safe houses in Paris. I'm not going to lie Taylor was a smart and wise guy, and I knew that if he was in pairs it was up to no good maybe even revenge. So that's why we needed to find him quickly.

I was sitting in my office after talking to the Russian boss on the phone. Making business with the Russians was a dangerous thing to do, so you had to be careful. When I get rid of my dad, I will become capo and have the Mafia all to myself and lots of things were going to change, including more power and alliances.

But taking over the Mafia wasn't a one-person job. I had the help of one of the best and most trusted assassins, Jason. He and his dad have been working for us for years now and have proven their loyalty to us in many ways. He was the one to locate Taylor and turn him over.

One of the Russian's expectations was that they wanted Taylor alive when we'd turn him in. I told them I wouldn't keep any promises because Taylor was officially considered one of my enemies now.

A knock on my door interrupted my thoughts. 'Come in' I say, I see my father walks into my office looking frustrated and mad.

"Can I help you?" I say pointing at the chairs in front of my desk so he can sit.

"Tell me the truth," my father says walking towards me and placing both hands on my desk. Well, I guess he's not going to sit then.

"The truth, the truth of what?" I ask shrugging my shoulders sarcastically pretending to not know what he's talking about.

"Don't play dumb with me son, I might be old with gray hair but that doesn't give you a reason to!" He yells pointing a finger at me. I laugh. I get up from my chair standing up full height knowing I'm taller than him.

"I wouldn't talk to me that way If I were you," I say in a threatening voice. My father scoffs and walks back and forth scratching his beard.

"What are you going to do to kill me?" He threatened me a let a scoff with a smirk. Sooner to later maybe.

"Are you trying to kill your brother? Your mom is going mentally insane with your brother gone. Do you want her to know that her own son is trying to kill him?" He growls.

"Answer me!" My father demanded taking a step closer towards me. I look down and up at him before saying anything.

"I don't know if you know this yet but you're not the boss around here anymore and neither is my brother so who does that leave in charge? Me." I say walking around my desk towards my father.

"Bastard!" He growls under his breath making me chuckle.

"Taylor was always the perfect boy in your eyes, the favorite. So I don't care a damn what you think about me or anything that I do. But let's get one thing clear." I say walking up closer to my father, face to face.

"I was born into the mafia to become boss, a capo. And if killing everyone that gets in my way is what I have to do, then so be it." I say in a strict tone.

We stared into each other's ragging eyes. I waited for him to say something but he didn't. He simply just shook his head disappointedly and walked out slamming the door.

I turn around towards my desk and pour myself a drink. Before I could even bring the drink to my lips Jason walks in looking confused about what just happened.

"Boss is everything ok?" He asked.

"Yes, everything is fine. Any news or information?" I sight before taking a sip of my drink.

"Well yes but it's not about Taylor." He says looking down at the floor.

"What is it?" I ask mixing my drink around in my hand.

"Carlos Knight was found dead a few days ago on a business trip. Nobody knows what really happened but some people think it was a planned dieth." He says. I look up from my drink at Jason.

Shit. How most Roxanne be feeling right now. I know she was really close to her dad and would always protects her family no matter what. Even if I wanted to pay my respects I knew that I was the last person she ever wanted to see. Especially since she was with Lucas.

Now that Carlos was dead I knew their mafia would be like hanging steak in front of a bunch of hungry lions to other mafias. Although it was none of my business I knew that Russians were going to make a move without a doubt.

That meant I had to step in first and fast now that the word was out. The Italian Mafia was a big empire but it was weak without a good leader.

"Boss?" Jason said interrupting my thoughts.

"Jason, I want you to prepare some of our men we're going to Italy in a few weeks," I say. And with that Jason nodded and left my office.

I knew I had many things on my plate at the time. But for Roxanne, I'd do anything.

A few days ago I was forced to lock up my dad. Apparently, he was working behind my back and helping Taylor. I should've know he was going to do something like that but I was being too nice. Now that he was taken care of I had more time to think of my plan when I was going to Italy.

I had to make a plan and it wasn't going to be one that Roxanne was going to like, not even a bit. The plan was to kidnap her and her family to safety until I made another plan.

Knowing Roxanne I knew she wasn't going to cooperate if you just told her to come back to the states because it was for her and her family's safety. So I had to think of something else. The way to make her do so is to threaten her, I know it sounds stupid but I promise it will make more sense soon. Plus I'm already the bad guy in her eyes like I am to everyone else, what else can go wrong.

------------------------
Author note: R.I.P Carlos Knight. You were loved but we must move on. 😂 ok but for real though killing him is going to make things better and worse I promise. 😉