Jack Gibson-Crystal Ridge Mountains (discontinued)

Mary-Anne pulled up at fire house 19, first day on the job in Seattle. She had completed her training/probation year in her home town but moved to Seattle for better opportunities. "19 I have decided to make some changes around here including bringing on a new crew member as we have been understaffed for a while now," Maya announced before beckoning Mary-Anne into view, "This is Mary-Anne and no she is not a probie she transferred her from Hardway Crystal Ridge Moutain Fire and Rescue," "Hey," her thick mountain accent spooked them with a start. "Okay Mary-Anne you will be on engine with Gibson, Miller and Herrera, I will assign chores after breakfast," Mary-Anne followed them up to the beanery where a tall lanky dark haired standing by the stove merrily cooking away.

"So Travis whats on the pot?" Herrera asked leaning over his shoulder, "Meat pie," "Travis's famous meat pie I'm down!" Vic gasped mucking around, "I'll be the judge of that my grandmother's recipe has won state awards for the past 50 years," "Who's your grandmother?" The chief asked coming down the stairs, "Margaret Hardway," "God then you and me have bad blood Margret beat my grannies curries sore," Sullivan had a brief laugh with Mary-Anne greatly lightening the mood. "So Mary-Anne where are you from?" Ben questioned, "Nobody really knows where it is so I just say I'm from Mary-Anne County and that is just a coincidence," "No I know that area well buppi used to take me camping there when I was little and we went there as a team for our camping trip as I had recommended you the place Maya," "Yes we did. Where about are you from?" Maya leaned across the table as she spoke to reach for the salt, "Okay Crystal Ridge Mountains pacifically Hardway Mountain wait a minute weren't you the firefighters that responded to the bear attack down by the lake and the day before while you were swimming a bunch of kids jumped ya in the water?" "Yeah they were unholy pains in the asses," "I was one of them it me and my siblings." Mic drop.

"Hey Mary-Anne if you need any help being shown the area I'm your guy," "Thanks but no thanks I'll stick to my maps and asking directions. And just so you know I'm engaged," he leaned over to see she was reading a rather old book, "What you reading?" "Oh local work one of my ancestors was a great playwright, author and poet this is one of his works. He could be compared to Shakespeare but sadly he never really went mainstream but he still made a decent fortune, with it he bought Crystal Ridge Mountains named each one Hardway the biggest and the tourist attraction, Melody Rock, Belle Ridge and Bridgemary Height, so how do you Gibson know of Hardway?" "I was in a foster family there for a little while and call me Jack," "In that case you and only you can call me Mia," the two swapped stories about Hardway Mountain it was refreshing that someone else other than a local knew of her home town.

It was a very small town spread about across the east slope of Hardway mountain. You see three sides were very steep with many ledges but the east side was a soft gradual slope with dips here and there. Hardway mountain is HUGE though, huge and spread out. In the 19th century about 100 years after John Hardway bought the area it was found to be rich in gold, jewels, crystals, coal, oil and other natural resources. They were just what the town needed to support itself but some of the old shafts were left unsealed for the kids to play in as they were harmless.

The town square is at the base of the cliff along with the switch board, church, mines and library where as the newspaper office, doctors office, school, pub were scattered around the slope along with houses and farms. The town had a connivence shop slap bang in the middle of it and was the only shop for miles around, you'd have to go in Mary-Anne City a good hours drive if you wanted anything else. This town had modern elements but it mainly suited a past long ago, they were very religious through all but two members of the community are practicing baptists. The dirt road drive when ever she wasn't on shift to Hardway was only 45 minutes so she wouldn't frequently spend her days not working in Hardway. "So Jack are you religious?" "Used to be wanted to be a priest for a little while but I have seen to many things in this world to whole heartedly give myself to it, I go to sermons every now and again but not very often. What makes you ask?" "Just curious how can I put my life on the line for someone I barely know," he noticed her fiddling with a pendant.