Andy Herrera - Rangers Lead The Way

Takes place when Robert joins 19

Robert and Andy met in Iraq when there two units met. Robert was in the marines and Andy was an army ranger. She specialised as a sniper, she held the record for the longest shot ever made. They met under heavy fire by Andy taking out the sniper behind the bush and giving Robert and his unit the chance to get under cover.

They had become close exchanging letters, texts and phone calls talking about war in all it's glory. The dog belonging to Andy's unit Ryder was a great fan of Robert, he was legally Andy's dog but he was army trained and used as unit equipment. Robert was discharged two years before Andy was. Andy got an honourable discharge from taking 8 rounds to protect her team, they all got shot some more than others. Long story short her entire unit was discharged, Ryder was meant to stay on for training other dogs but she was get him back when his service finished.

Robert was with her when her life changed forever. While escaping a now burning house a butterfly wall ornament fell from it's shelf. It was so hot it burned an impression of a butterfly wing on the side of Andy's face, she was turning 19 in just two weeks. Her whole unit now called her butterfly as the burn left a complete scar in the shape of a butterfly. When she joined the academy she started wearing foundation over the burn, yes she'd had it for over 10 years at that point but civilians aren't like her friends in the Rangers.

Andy's face was a picture when she saw Robert as her captain. "19 this is your new captain, Herrera are you alright?" "Butterfly it's been years," "Sexy Sully hey. Last time I saw you we were dodging bullets didn't help they were ours," "I'm sorry you to know each other?" "Tell you later Luke, oh and Butterfly if you wanna go for a snap don't go in the barracks," "Hey one time and it was your fault I dropped it you were strutting across the compound in lingerie and stiletto heels! Thats why we called him Sexy Sully!" "Explanation cue now!" Ripley demanded, "Hey I was dared to the forfeit was snog Ryder! But that is an explanation you are not getting!" Robert said laughing and remembering there shared scar, "Andy talk later. Now names go," "Ben Warren," "Jack Gibson," "Vic Hughes," "Travis Montgomery," "Dean Miller," "Maya Bishop," "19 I'll give you chores and assignments then proceed as normal. Herrera, Chief can I talk to you in my office," "Sure, it's gonna be weird you bossing me around again," "I know last time it was Jaxx." The two laughed over the good times walking into his office, "Okay how do you two know each?" "Andy was a sniper in the Rangers, we met in her first week in Iraq. Her unit gave mine covering fire to get to safety," "And our units started working together ever since, Bobby saved my life twice. Should we show him?" "What harm will it do? We went on a stake out just the two of us. She was only 19 so her unit said if I got her hurt they would murder me themselves. Well we were in a collapsing building and I wrapped my arms around her. My hand was across her back just as a darn wire burned us," Andy lifted the back of her shirt on the side to show a large part of the snowflake burn but with the centre missing. Robert pulled his sleeve up to show the centre on his wrist. "Why did you call her Butterfly?" Andy froze, her mind was whirling in circles. Robert saw her reaction and jumped in for her, "Thats a story for another time," "Yes yes, I don't like talking about it."

Andy bolted up in her sleep. Looking around she was in the station, she got up and peered into the Captains office. Sure enough Sullivan was there working away at his desk like it wasn't the middle of the night.

During the night they had four calls almost immediately after each other, the last one needed them to dismantle a fire hydrant but Andy forgot those things blast water. She got a large splash to the face. Her face went blank as she felt the foundation hiding her scar run off her face, thank the stars it was to dark to see anything. When the blinding station lights illuminated her face Robert saw how hard she was hiding her scar and leapt into action. Andy had been the kid of the two units so everyone swore to protect the units kid even when the 'kid' turned 28. He asked her to run ahead and to start getting something cooking as they were all starving. She greatly appreciated the order and left to put makeup back over her scar.