Dreams Of The Past

"May day may day, we are going down I repeat we are going down!" A panicked voice screamed over the radio. Andy climbed up the flooded lower engine room ladder slamming the hatch shut behind her, her blue overalls covered in grease and water. She ran along the shin deep water corridors being the one of the last to reach one of the compartment doors, she just managed to slip through but saw two other engineers towards the back of the flooding corridor. "Move move move!" Andy shouted down to them, in a frantic bid to hold the door open she wedged a fallen pipe in place. The two engineers slipped through just in time but as the last slither of the door closed about 5 others came bolting down the corridor edge. All the compartment doors were shut, locked and sealed water tight, those that didn't make it through? There fate was to go down with the ship. Andy made it to the deck where she was left no choice but to jump into the sea as the life boat compartments were underwater by now.

Andy bolted up from her trance at the dinner table. She couldn't even remember what had caused the flashback. Oh wait it was someone from D-shift talking about how his grandfather's row boat had sunk in the storm the weekend before. "Andy you okay there?" Maya asked noticing her friends distress, "Yeah, yeah bad memories thats all," "From a sinking row boat?" "Did I ever tell you I served?" "I don't recall you mentioning it so no," Vic added leaning further onto the table, "Excuse me." Just like that she walked out of the beanery trying to console herself.

Without thinking she walked straight up to the chief's bunk. She walked right in, Robert new it was her as everyone else would knock, "Hey Andy you okay?" "Had another flashback," she only told him what was going on inside her head as only he would understand. Maya was an olympian not a veteran and would only know sympathy, after her ship went down her mind screwed itself over. She would push and push herself worse than Maya does, unlike Maya it never showed. A little tough love and aggressive humour exchanged between matleos was her kind of medicine. "Are you ever gonna tell anyone what happened?" She shrugged sitting on the floor next to Robert, "Andy what really happened?"

Almost five years before

"Kris what are you doing?" Andy asked, looking up from the water valve to Kris poorly pole dancing on the support beam, "Come on Herrera let the man have his fun," "I just asked what the hell he was doing, are you gonna help me with this valve or not?" "Why what's the problem?" The three engineers Kris, Jack and Ben jumped down to where she was working on. Though Kris was filming them for whatever reason, "The valve won't seal on its own and if you leave it it'll open and flood," "Okay looks like its the circuit. Get the pumps going and radio bridge for an all stop," Andy connected the water pumps before finishing her radio out of the shallow water, "Herrera to bridge, Herrera to bridge come in over," "Bridge here," "We need all stop, valves blown we need to open them to reconnect the wires," "Granted, all stop."

The engines in the other room cranked to a halt giving them the go ahead to open the valve. A loud bang then gushes of water rocked the three back, Kris dropped the camera he was filming with. "What the hell was that?" Jack yelled, Kris picked his camera up following Andy and Jack. "Bridge to engineering what the hell was that?" "I don't know yet," she clipped her radio to her belt and took her camera back from Kris.

Her and other engineers raced to the ships stern to be met with rapid water in take. "Seal the valves cut off that compartment, make sure everyone is out!" Andy yelled camera still running. The ship was sinking...

"Andy you zoned out again, what did you remember?" "We filmed it, we were stupid enough to leave the camera playing," "Andy taken your meds? PTSD is nothing to be ashamed of," "I left them in my locker, see you later," "Andy!" Robert yelled after her but she was gone.

Herrera raced through the locker room and potentially ripped her locker open. Her mind was whirling in circles trying to make sense of what she was remembering. Before she knew it she was back in the kitchen filling up a glass. Swallowing the two tiny pills, she was gripping the sides to remain steady. "Herrera you okay over there?" Jack called, "She'll tell us when she's ready Jack," "You drowned," "He's right here Andy?" "He drowned as did Ben, Kris and all the others. I did nothing, I sealed there fate. Why was it only me why couldn't the others have survived to?" "Chief!" Maya yelled, "Why are you calling him?" "He said he was there he knows what happened and to call him if she acts peculiar," "Bishop what is-Andy it's not your fault you just got lucky," "Only survivor yeah right, don't call that lucky I would have rather gone down with them if that meant we could be family forever," "Don't talk like that do you think that Discovery would ever forgive you if you did that after we freezes our buts off saving you lot. Did I ever tell you that you weren't the only one?" "No don't think so," "Okay good we pulled the bodies for the water it was horrific you and another engineer were still alive but you both were all over the place. We got you stable and you slowly came back from the world of the dead the other survivor wasn't so lucky once he practically thawed he was brain dead," "What did you end up doing?" "He wasn't connected to anything keeping him alive his brain just couldn't tell his heart to stop beating," "Please what happened to him," "Not in a public space," "Bobby please!" "We killed him rat poison, we thought it would be a painless way to go out rather than throwing him over board to drown."