A few tears

Upon the request of  @kakasosi this will be a story in between the episodes 3x12 and 3x13 focusing on Surrera and Andy's grief for her dad. I'm writing this as I can't sleep either. There will be mixed POV's, I am trying to experiment more with them after reading Trash by Andy Mulligan in school, so please bare with me if it gets annoying in the beginning.

Maya's POV

When Cap didn't respond anymore on his radio and that loud dark band of smoke escaped I knew the worst had happened. He was gone. How to tell Andy? How to tell his own child, I had been there when other firefighters passed to inform the next of kin but not one of our own...

Andy's POV

The smoke cleared from around us at a rapid pace, to rapid to of been without assistance. My smile lit up Roberts face as he stood up next to me. Around a third of the way out we pulled our masks off to catch our breath, laughing and joking trying to put yet another near death experience behind us. Those golden rays of the sun had never felt more powerful as they beat down on the Seattle turf. I looked around for Maya and the others as we were the last ones out. I saw Maya standing at the base of the ladder with a look of pain in her eyes, someone had vented the roof. That was all I could wonder who was that someone?

Thats when I saw it. Dad's hat on the ledge of the ladder. The whole of 19 turned to me as I felt my legs give out beneath me.

Travis's POV

We all turned to the still Andy. Her joyful face vanished in a split second when she saw Cap's hat. Myself and Vic moved slowly closer as not to startle her just in time to catch her when her legs gave out. I pulled her into a big teddy bear hug as did Vic. One by one till even Sullivan joined us the team was hugging our friend tight in our arms.

Robert's POV

I saw the look of pain on my wife's face. It ached my heart to see her like that. All I wanted to do was to hug her and bring her home, but I knew I couldn't. We appeared to tolerate each other for the teams sake let alone be in love, I stood on the side lines as her friends comforted her till Maya opened the hug obviously knowing Andy to well to see through her lies. 

It was agreed I would drive Andy back to the station then I would drive her (us) home. Maya used the excuse of 'I didn't know Pruitt that well so he shouldn't be that badly affected' which was a lie in the context but a necessary lie to throw the sent. 

I glanced at Andy on the way back to the station, she had her head against the window, eyes glassed over with the tears she refused to let go of. Like a switch in her head as soon as I shut our front door she was a crying mess, I held her close as she slid further down the wall she was clinging to for support. "I'm not gonna tell you it's all gonna be okay because I know it won't. What I am gonna say is let it all out, all the years of pain let it all go," I whispered into her ear. Andy only nodded in agreement as she was choking on her words, I guided her to the shower to wash the soot off her and me. After that I helped her put on a dark tshirt and a pair of shorts she had left here the last time she stayed over. 

In the two moments I left her to grab something for both of us to eat she had clambered under the sheets and was just lying there on her side.  I laid down to her left and pulled her head and shoulders into my arms, Andy was just to quiet and to lifeless. Who wouldn't be? 

After three days of no change in her at all, I texted Maya to ask Warren if he had a sleeping pill for Andy. The way she just laid there not sleeping, not eating, not even crying was worrying enough. "Andy I need to go to the station, I'll be as fast as I can," I kissed her forehead but received no response from her accept stifled sobs. 

I tried to avoid anyone from A shift as they would be asking questions I know Andy wouldn't want answered. As quietly as I could I grabbed my laptop from my desk and saw the sleeping pills with a note on them from Maya, 'I know Andy wouldn't be asking for sleeping pills if hadn't clammed up, take care of her Sullivan' and that's just what I intended to do. 

As I expected Andy had barely moved since I left which wasn't a good thing, she was just staring at the wall like it was the only thing keeping her sane. "I'm back," I whispered pulling her closer to the side of the bed, I knelt down so my head was level with hers, "Maya sends her love and threatened me that if I hurt you anymore she and the rest of 19 would be priming there axes and brushing up on there few serial killer cases," she didn't really say that only I knew it would put a smile on Andy's face even if it was just for a few seconds. Mission accomplished, a weak smile stretched across her face, it was brief but hey it was a smile! I gave it to her straight that she hadn't been sleeping and I know for a fact the night before all this we didn't sleep either 😉 so Maya had gotten Warren to find a sleeping pill for her. 

It (to my relief) went down quite well. Andy didn't fight me only agreed. After a few minutes of her leaning on my shoulder reading with me she was asleep on my shoulder, that was just the start of this whirlwind.