Maya Bishop- But still I rise (original)

This was an original version of this story, on it's own it's to good not to share but the re-write in my opinion is much better.

Warning: mentions of a difficult labour and pregnancy.

Maya's POV (Set 2019/early 2020)

This is it the end of my first month as captain and it has been very typical of 19, they think of me as a monster going behind Andy's back for the promotion but if they knew my reasons they would understand. What Sullivan said when I applied for Lieutenant 'it's time for you to stop being a cheerleader and step up to become the leader,' that guy got under my skin. It would also mean less risk, as much as I enjoy running into fires if anything happens to me Ashleigh would have no one. Jack and I originally met not long after I won gold in 2012 (AN: given my age I remember the London Olympics well and I remember being the preschoolers we were being allowed into the primary school we shared grounds with and with all the big kids to do an Olympics themed sports day. Given we're only two hours South from London made that day amazing) at a party we both were attending, we dated from September to January but he broke it off to join the academy. A week later I found out I was pregnant and he was indefinitely the farther. I had Ashleigh September 1st of the following year, I never told anyone at 19, I never pushed Jack for child support and I don't intend to tell him of my child any time soon. Good thing she looks more like me than him!

I sat behind a mountain of almost finished paperwork watching my daughter on FaceTime, while I was at work and she couldn't go to school my grandma had her. "Look mummy it's a boat!" She said excitedly showing me one of her drawings, "Where's it's captain?" "I'm the captain but you can be the first mate," "What about me?" Grandma asked, I chuckled knowing exactly what she was going to say, "You can be the probie," definitely a firefighters child, "Ashy I'm gonna say good bye to you as mummy's firefighter friends don't know how to untwist there knickers and you missy have school," she laughed wildly, "Bye bye, love you so much." I ended the call as I signed the last bit of paperwork. I glanced across at my top draw, I never kept a photo of Ashleigh in clear view as 19 enjoy snooping so I keep her school photo framed in there.

I was suddenly alerted by a loud crash from outside. Frantic I raced outside to see a hilarious sight, Travis was carrying the newly fixed beanery chairs upstairs with the help of the others he missed a step fell backwards and like dominoes the others followed suit. They were laughing till they saw me, I wasn't forgiven yet.

A little while lated alarms rang for a medical emergency that also required ladder to a primary school. My face drained of all life as I heard the address Fleetlands Primary School, I forced everyone into double time preying that it wasn't my Ashy. We weren't even stopped in the car park before I jumped out and began barking orders to get the med kits. "Captain Bishop didn't expect your house to be responding but rest assured it's not," "My team don't know," I changed my tone from our quiet whisper to my formal captains voice, "What happened?" "Well one of the children in year one decided it was a good idea to see what would happen if he snuck under the barrier and run into fast dry industrial glue and nails. He's stuck good and tight," I see what they meant. "Cap pulse and BP are steady," "Hello there what's your name kid?" "Micheal," he whimpered, I nodded to Travis before turning back to the boy, "Micheal to get you to the hospital we're going to have to cut you free, your going to here a lot of noise but I need you to stay calm, still and keep your eyes shut."

The sparks from the drill just happened to go astray and set a small grass patch on fire, give them there due 19 leapt into action and quickly got that spark out as well as dampening down the surrounding grass so it wouldn't get any ideas of re-sparking. We were still there packing up when the bell for the end of school rang. Parents tricked through to get there kids but the ones I spoke to quite a bit kept there distance knowing that haven't told my team about Ashleigh yet expect one. Rebecca. She's a text book entitled parent and goes out of her way to make life awkward for anyone and everyone. "Hey Maya!" She announced over the car park, "Oh hi Rebecca," "Who's that?" Dean asked, "Oh Rebecca I was in the same school year as her little sister." Close. Far to close.