Chapter 41

"It's emergency and I want you to join me, so I won't faint due to nervous breakdown" Emma said and followed me to my apartment's kitchen.

My birthday will be the day after tomorrow and she's planning to go somewhere. And she wants me to join her. Pwede bang after na lang ng birthday ko? Plano ko kasi na mag-celebrate kami, tapos tatawagan ko na lang sila mommy. Hindi pa kasi sure kung matutuloy ba sila sa pagpunta dito e. Pero sana makapunta nga sila dito para sa birthday ko.

"Can it wait until my birthday is over?" I asked her and she gave me cookies that she bought outside.

"I promise that before your birthday, we will be back here again. I have my plane and pilot with me. But then, this is really a matter of life and death situation. Do you want me to die?" she said dramatically

Inirapan ko siya kaya naman natawa siya sa akin.

"I promise" she said and then acts cutely in front of me. I then sighed. Do I have any choice? I am her only friend here in New York, so I can't think of anyone to replace me.

"Fine. Just make sure that we will be here before my birthday" I threatened her and then she nodded like an excited kid.

"I am really nervous. Like, it's overflowing on my whole body already. We will be quick, I promise" she said and I just nodded at her.

Then we just watch a fashion documentary, she said that we will leave tomorrow and then came back before my birthday the day ends.

Nasa eroplano na kami at nagtataka ako kung bakit masyado na kaming late umalis.

"Juice for me" sabi ko sa flight attendant na nagtanong kung anong gusto namin ni Emma.

"Coffee" sagot naman ni Emma.

Umiinom ako ng juice habang nakikinig sa kwento ni Emma tungkol sa gagawin niyang collection for summer. Parang walaa naman siyang pinoproblema e. Kumunot ang noo ko ng parang may kakaiba akong naramdaman.

I didn't notice that I fell asleep while Emma is talking to me.

And here I am now, wearing a sundress that Emma forced me to wear, standing in front of my family, friends and James. Dumbfounded and speechless. I thought that when I graduated from college, I won't ever experience to be surprise again. But then I was so wrong.

I looked at them, the girls were wearing a sundress as well and the boys were wearing a flower-printed polo shirt. Then they all shouted with happiness.

"Happy birthday, Liya/Ate!!" the shouted in unison and then Emma put a flower necklace to me.

"What is this? I thought..." I said and then looked at them. I don't know what kind of face I have now. I am surprise and speechless.

My family went to me and hugged me, altogether. Gosh, I miss them so much.

"Happy birthday, anak" dad and mom said and then dad kissed my forehead while my siblings hugged me again.

"Happy birthday, ate!!" they both said to me and I hugged them so tight, to the point that they both complain on how tight my hug is.

Then after them, Zea and Atarah hugged me.

After them, James went in front of me. He gave me a bouquet of tulips.

"Happy birthday to my favorite person" he said and then hand me the flowers.

I smiled and accepted it.

"Thank you, I really thought that you won't be available for my birthday and I understand it, if ever that you're busy today"