Our Past Haunts Us

As the water drips from the damp ceiling and into an overflowing silver bucket, an old man stirs gently.

Faint groans escapes his lips as he tosses from side to side rather restlessly. Gusts of wind blow roughly against the shabby shack providing an eerie atmosphere, yet the heavy sleeper remains rather undisturbed.

In his sleep, he hears faint giggles and a pretty woman whom he can't quite recall each night. She seems so familiar to him, yet whenever he gets close to her she seems to fade away. Just like the gusts of brisk wind.

He sees glimpses of her in a new way each night. Sometimes she is an angel saving him from the things that terrorize him in his sleep while other times she is the nightmare.

She helps him escape reality. It is awfully unpleasant for him anyway. Filled with harsh ridicule, mischievous children destroying his once beautiful property even more, and rumors are quickly spread. He has done nothing wrong other than only wreck the world by a creation gone wrong. Even so the years have passed, others still remain bitter because of the havoc he caused. Choosing to simply remain blind to how much the percieved monster in their eyes has changed so drastically over the years.

From a stubborn and vindictive man to someone so unrecognizable shockingly enough. Yet his past still haunts him everyday, despite the good deeds he has done to accumulate the wreck he was responsible for. Despite helping others rebuild for years, despite gathering resources to heal the sick, depsite every single good thing he has ever done his past still comes back to haunt him in some way, shape or form. Defaming and mocking the man he has become.

However, the captivating lady in his dreams comforts him even with the terror she brings. The terrors that she does, does not even compare to the harshness of his day to day life. Nothing could compare to the atrocities he faced daily.

Yet here he was facing the young woman in his dream. She had a soft grin plastered on her pale face and her long hair flowed gracefully.

"Who are you?" Ivor muttered, astonished by the womans beauty.

She only giggled softly in response before tinkering on her latest invention. Her brilliance captured Ivors attention the most as she gestured him into her bright, yet complex world. She was a genuis at heart to him and her intelligence was simply immeasurable.

She hummed a faint tune. It was something she hummed regularly as she worked. With a small amount of hesistance, the woman grabbed Ivors hand, drawing him closer before suddenly pushing Ivor to the ground.

Her calm demeanor suddenly changed. The sky turned to a bleak sapphire. His touch unknowingly burned her.

She quickly scurried back. The pretty smile she wore was swift to dissipate. Her mouth hung open, her finger that was pointed at Ivor trembled.

"M...monster," She muttered breathlessly as sweat dripped down her warm neck. Slimy black tentacles wrapped around her legs and her arms. Purple rays of light flashed around. The gusts of wind were quick.

"I.. I changed!" Ivor said, agitated. "I.. I promise I have."

The lady's name suddenly came back to him.

"Harper please...," Ivor pleaded as he gazed at her with desperation gleaming in his ebony eyes, "I changed. I really have. Why do you not believe me?"

"Do you not see? It is difficult for people like us to move forward with our lives," Harper said, her tone switching to a blank one.

"Why," Ivor grit his teeth, clenching his fists as his tone lowered.

"No matter what you do, no matter how many good things you do. It will never be enough. It was not enough when I tried and it will not be for you." She replied flatly, her expression mixed with apprehension and an eery blankness.

"I..."

"Our pasts will always haunt us," She said as the oozing tentacles lifted her up. His own creation ripping away the person he admired most.

"But do not let this ruin us! There is so much... so much potential in you that I have yet to see." Ivor cried out, as he desperately lunged for Harper.

"Yet... your past haunts you and no one thinks that you have changed. Not even I do."

The wither storm, the monstrosity that he had created took the women away, ripping his only connection to someone away.

Ivors eyes quickly fluttered open. The corners of his vision was blurry and his mind was foggy. The harsh tapping of rocks against a hard surface rudely interrupted his piece of mind.

"You monster! Ruined all the produce we had."

"Yeah," A younger voice filled with rage chimed in, "My mom would still be alive if it were not for you."

Ivor sighed.. remembering the words last spoken to him.

Yet... your past haunts you and no thinks that you have changed.  Not even I do.

"I am doomed... for my mistakes to haunt me... even though I have tried so hard to change," Ivor muttered defeatedly.

---
Just messing around and came up with this :)

Also, this book has officially been up for 4 years now. Damn where did the time go? Feels like I just started this oneshot book yesterday...