Cassian

After Phoenix kicked us off the roof, Az and I decided to explore the second floor -the others wandering around the first floor- and eventually found ourselves in a library.

I couldn't stop thinking about Az's reaction to Elain telling us all that she's an Infinite and an assassin.

His reaction was no reaction. Not even an ounce of shock, so he had to have known before.

If Elain did tell him, then that plays into my theory that they're closer than friends.

It was extremely obvious that they were closer than friends now that I think about it.

Instead of choosing to talk with and confide to Mor or Amren -who would've perfectly matched her assassin personality- she chose to be around Az. Az who, from an outsider's point of view, was closed off and cold. Heartless even, but she still chose to become his friend.

Maybe to even love him?

I hoped that she did.

Elain and Lucien would make a terrible pair, while Elain and Azriel perfectly complemented one another, and to be honest, my brother deserved some happiness in his life.

"Az, how did you already know about Elain being an assassin and an Infinite?"

He loosed a breath, "That's complicated. I figured it out, but she also explained everything." Seeing the confusion on my face, he added. "I saw her training in Velaris and she explained that she was an assassin, and in the war camp I felt her magic and I realized she was an Infinite."

"So you've known that long?"

He nodded once, eyeing me warily to gauge my reaction.

"And you didn't tell any of us?" I pushed.

"How could I have told any of you? She trusted me, I couldn't go behind her back like that. She's-" There was something in his voice...

I smiled slowly. "So I was right then, you and Elain aren't just friends,"

Az sighed, "No, not at all."

"And when did that start?" I raised a brow.

"In the war camp after we brought Elain back from Hybern."

"And why wasn't I informed?" I pretended to look hurt that he hadn't told me.

"We were trying to keep it a secret-"

"Were?" I raised a brow.

"Well, you already know. Aelin and the Erileans know, and..." He trailed off.

"And?"

"And Rhys knows."

"Rhys?!" I had to admit, now I was slightly offended. Az and I had always been closer than he had been with Rhys, so what changed?

"He found out," Az ground out the words as if remembering something foul. "In the war camp."

Ah, so he didn't mean for Rhys to find out. I couldn't help but feel slightly smug at the fact that Az would have told me first- or at least he was fine with the fact that I found out when he seemed to be pissed that Rhys found out. Maybe that was why things had been weird between them recently.

They had fought in the past but never like this, it never seemed this serious and tense.

"So-" I started but then Mor burst into the room.

She didn't even seem to notice me.

"Az, finally. I've been looking for you." She was out of breath as if she'd run all over the house.

"Mor-" He started.

"You're friends with Elain, right? And you already knew about Belladonna and Phoenix?"

"Yes, but Cass is-" He gestured to me.

Mor waved him off, not so much as glancing in my direction. "Cass is not important right now. So," She hesitated as if debating whether or not to ask him. Then she steadied herself and blurted out, "Do you know if Belladonna is single?"

Az grinned, "I think she is."

Mor grinned too.

I smirked. "Hello, Mor."

She looked at me, then back at Az, "Is this what you were trying to-" She started flatly.

"Yeah." Az said.

She looked at me again, "Well, fuck."

I waved her off, "Don't worry, I already knew. I figured it out a while ago," Then I looked at Az, "But how did you know?"

"He figured it out and asked me about it, so I explained everything." Mor replied, she seemed more relaxed knowing that I accepted her preferences.

"So then, you two were never..." I awkwardly glanced between them.

Mor barked a laugh, "That would be like dating your brother."

"It would've been weird." Az agreed, still smiling himself.

"Then why did you pretend?" I asked.

"Mor asked me to," Az shrugged, "So I did."

I looked at Mor expectantly.

"Well- I don't know." She splayed her arms out, "I just-"

Just then Phoenix winnowed in.

"Hi. We need to borrow Az for a moment, hope you don't mind."

Without letting us say anything she grabbed onto Az and disappeared.

I exchanged a look with Mor. "Well then..."

She smiled, but it was half-hearted.

I sighed, "Why didn't you tell us, Mor?"

"I don't know, Cass. I wanted to. Hell, Az has been trying to convince me for centuries, but..." She trailed off.

Centuries? Damn. 

I was proud of myself for figuring it out when I did, but I guess there's a reason why Az is the Spymaster.

"But you were worried of what we would think if we knew." I finished for Mor.

Mor nodded mutely.

"Don't worry Mor, I don't blame you. I like females too." I said with a smirk.

Mor rolled her eyes, but she smiled for real.

"Who knows?" I inquired.

"You, Az and Feyre."

I pretended to look hurt, "So you told Feyre before me?!"

She rolled her eyes again. "You're too dramatic, Cass."

We talked for another few hours before Nix came to ask us if we wanted a drink.

Obviously we said yes.

Maybe we shouldn't have.

I will continue.