Feyre

I could smell the sea long before we beheld the battlefield. Hybern had chosen well.

A vast, grassy plain stretched to the shore. A mile inland, he had planted his army.

It rippled away, a dark mass spreading to the eastern horizon. Rocky foothills arose at his back-some of his army also stationed atop them. Indeed, even the plain seemed to slope upward to the east.

I lingered at Rhysand's side atop a broad knoll overlooking the plain, my sisters, Azriel and Amren right behind. The Erileans were surrounding us, though I knew some of them wouldn't stay and watch the battle. Yrene, I knew, would be a powerful asset to the healers. Even in her supposedly weakened state -due to being in a different world- she was still powerful. And could apparently 'heal the valg'. Whatever that meant.

At the distant front lines far ahead, Helion, resplendent in golden armor and a rippling red cape, gave the order to halt. Armies obeyed, shifting into the positions they'd sorted out. 

The host we faced, though... they were waiting. Poised.

So many. I knew without counting that we were vastly outnumbered.

Cassian landed from the skies, stone-faced, all of his Siphons smoldering as he crossed the flat-topped knoll in a few steps. "The prick took every inch of high ground and advantage he could find. If we want to rout them, we'll have to chase them up into those hills. Which I have no doubt he's already calculated. Likely set with all kinds of surprises." 

In the distance, those naga-hounds began snarling and howling. With hunger.

Rhys only asked, "How long do you think we have?"

Cassian clenched his jaw, glancing at my sisters. Nesta was watching him keenly; Elain monitored the army from our minor elevation, face stony cold. "We have five High Lords, and there's only one of him. You all could shield us for a while." He glanced at us, then at the Erileans and Nesta, skipping over Elain, "But it might not be in our interest to drain every one of you like that. He'll have shields, too-"

Aelin cut him off, "Don't worry. I have someone who could shield us, who won't be drained quickly."

Cassian took a step towards her, "Are you sure? Can they put a full shield around the whole army even with your 'weakened' powers?"

Aelin nodded, "Their powers aren't weakened, but yes. They can."

"Well then why the hell aren't they out there fighting."

"For personal reasons." Aelin smiled before turning back and whispering something to Elain and Lysandra.

Cassian walked back to us, when Rhys said, "You didn't answer my question."

Cass sized up Hybern's unending army, then our own. "Let's say it goes badly. Shields shattered, disarray, he uses the Cauldron... A few hours."

I closed my eyes. During that time, I'd have to get across the battlefield before us, find wherever he kept the Cauldron and stop it.

"My shadows are hunting for it," Azriel said to me, reading my face as I opened my eyes. His jaw clenched at the words. He was supposed to have been searching for it himself. He flared and settled his wings, as if testing them. "But the wards are strong- no doubt reinforced by the king after you shredded through his at the camp. You might have to go on foot. Wait until the slaughter starts getting sloppy."

Cassian dipped his head and said to Amren, "You'll know when."

She nodded sharply, crossing her arms. I wondered if she'd said goodbye to Varian.