𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FOUR:BARROW

BARROW

"WHAT DO YOU THINK?" ELAINE smiled, holding the jack-o-lantern as she looked at her mother. Melissa smiled at her daughter and nodded her head.

"It's perfect." She grabbed the pumpkin from her daughter's hands and placed it on the front desk. Elaine was working that night with her mother, and today she was working front desk, and seeing as nothing too exciting was happening, her mother had helped her carve some pumpkins. Elaine looked up just in time to watch as her father entered the hospital one way, with Noah and two other officers entering through the front door. She watched as her mother's smile immediately dropped as she made her way over to the two men. Elaine frowned and quickly followed her.

"Hey. He is not coming in." Noah was quick to snap at Rafael.

"This is the only hospital that will take him."

"What about county?"

"You'd be surprised how fast things fill up when a guy like this needs surgery." Rafael told him. Elaine watched the conversation with furrowed eyebrows, apparently being the only one that was in the dark about whatever the hell it was that was going on.

"They turfed him to us?" Melissa asked in disbelief.

"Turfed who to us?" Elaine frowned.

"Yeah." Rafael nodded.

"If county doesn't want want to operate on him―︎"

"Then someone has to." Rafael cut Noah off. He then looked towards his daughter. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm working tonight." Elaine answered. "What's happening? Mom?" She looked towards her mother, but Melissa was too focused on the front doors that opened with paramedics and several officers rolling in an older man who's hands and ankles were strapped to the bed. Elaine watched as he passed before cocking an eyebrow. "So, what's the damage? Serial killer? Cannibal?"

No one answered her. Melissa was the next one to speak. "Someone needs to do his pre-op interview."

"Who usually does that?" Rafael questioned.

A sigh fell from Melissa's mouth. "Me."

"Yeah, no." Elaine shook her head. "You're not going in there alone."

"Well you're sure as hell not going in there." Melissa told her child. Elaine looked at her mother, silently telling her that she could protect her. Melissa shook her head. "Go home, El."

"What? No!" Elaine shouted in disbelief.

"Elaine. Home. Now." It wasn't a request anymore and Elaine clenched her jaw as she looked at her mother before scoffing as she shook her head and walked out of the hospital. Her phone started to ring, and she sighed before answering it.